Flashlight Version 4

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

737mechanic

Flashlight Version 4

Post by 737mechanic »

My normal job requires me to use a flashlight on a regular basis so I have always had a thing for nice flashlights that were bright and of a good size to handle. When I got into machining as a hobby I figured I would see what I could do to make my own. With the help of http://www.candlepowerforums.com to educate me on the type of emitters and drivers needed for bright flashlights and this site for educating me on the principles of machining I have made a few lights and this is my latest and what I think is the nicest one to date.

The emitter is a P7 with a 3 mode driver that gives low, med, and high. The emitter creates lots of heat so I pressed a copper rod into the center of the head and machined down for the emitter to lay flat against. I grooved the body to act as a heatsink. The first P7 light I made will get so hot if left on it is uncomfortable to hold so I am hoping the grooving will help in disapating more heat and so far it seems to really have made a difference.

This light is so bright you can see the light coming from it as you shine it up in the night sky.

Now I just need to get on the ball with an anodizing setup.
Attachments
To give you an idea of the size.
To give you an idea of the size.
DSCN1461.jpg
Looking down the head at the copper slug machined flat so the emitter can be bonded too it.
Looking down the head at the copper slug machined flat so the emitter can be bonded too it.
Showing the reflector and emitter at the bottom.
Showing the reflector and emitter at the bottom.
Emitter bonded to the head using artic silver thermal epoxy.
Emitter bonded to the head using artic silver thermal epoxy.
The 3 mode driver, this is where the positive terminal of the battery rest against
The 3 mode driver, this is where the positive terminal of the battery rest against
The seperate pieces excluding the lens which I am still waiting on.
The seperate pieces excluding the lens which I am still waiting on.
At night shining about 30 feet on my back fence.
At night shining about 30 feet on my back fence.
737mechanic

Re: Flashlight Version 4

Post by 737mechanic »

Couple more pics.
Attachments
Shining up in the night sky.
Shining up in the night sky.
DSCN1477.jpg
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

737machanic , A nice job on the torch . The copper heatsink , is it going to dissapate the heat better than Al ? I followed the discussion over on candle power until it got to intense for me Those guys are very hard core . The knurling on the body is good also . How did you put the serrations in the bezel ? That size light is very handy for a carry lite and the beam it puts out blows everything that you buy off the shelf away . I'm just a hack when it comes to making these lites up . Mostly plug-n- play w/ the the Q-5 drop in modules . One thing about it , nobody has one like the one you make yourself ! A good job .
Here's a pic of my carry lite that I ano'd . Sorry about the poor quality .

The more I learn , The more I don't know !
737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic »

Thanks for the kind words Coal Miner. My way of thinking on the copper is if some of the best CPU heatsinks use copper for the surface contact area of the CPU and then aluminum for the body or fins of the heatsink then it must be tried and proven. This is what I believe happens. The heat from the emitter will be absorbed by the copper much faster than if it was aluminum and since aluminum dissipates heat faster than copper I believe the aluminum will absorb the heat from the copper and dissipate it into the air through the fins.

The serrations was done using my knurling tool with straight knurls instead of the common diamond knurls.

The next light you build you need to try the XPG-R5 drop in. Make sure it is able to deliver the full 1.4 amp that the R5 is capable of handling and you will be very impressed with the brightness.

Nice light you made. What batteries do you use.