What the heck is this

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

patrick

What the heck is this

Post by patrick »

Hay out there, I am new to this site. I am a tool guy, I tag sale & dumpster dive etc. collecting tools & stuff. I recently acquired a very unusual vice and am looking for some info on it. What is it? Has anyone out there ever seen one of these? I will try & post some attachments. It has a tag on it which reads: Montgomery & Co. Inc. Springfield, New Jersey, MOD 300 S. Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks
PH
Attachments
DSCN1181.JPG
DSCN1182.JPG
Harold_V

Re: What the heck is this

Post by Harold_V »

Interesting vise.

If I had to guess, I'd suggest it's for holding irregularly shaped objects. Otherwise, I haven't a clue!

Welcome to the forum.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
patrick

Post by patrick »

Thanks Harold. Yeh it hold a round pipe perfectly. But is is so well made it must have a name and history of application. Somebody has to have seen one of these before I'm hoping.
patrick

Post by patrick »

Oh I love the aphorism at the end of your message.
Socrates said, "the richest man is the one who is contented with least"
737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic »

Never seen one like that.

If you are not a member of http://www.garagejournal.com you need to sign up. Just click on The Forum at the top of the page then click on General tool discussion. It is the best tool forum around. There are some viseaholics on there that might be able to tell you what it is for.
patrick

Post by patrick »

thanks, I'm on my way.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

patrick wrote:Oh I love the aphorism at the end of your message.
Socrates said, "the richest man is the one who is contented with least"
Chuckle!

We Greeks are full of sayings! :wink:

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
fonzy

Post by fonzy »

From time to time I see them listed on ebay, seem to get a good price for them. It is for, as mentioned...for holding odd shaped work. The movable jaws index to hold on to just about any shape.
1969 Logan 1875 POWERMATIC 10" lathe, 1996 HF "MILL DRILL" Both with 20 year+ accumulative tooling!
Horz/Vert bandsaw AC/DC Stick Welder small wirefeed welder Oxy Acety Weld/cut ect.,
SEE MY INFORMATIVE VIDEOS AT http://www.youtube.com/user/alpho52
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Sayings? like : A mind is a terrible thing.

A waste is a terrible thing to mind.

Keep your bird in your hand, and not in the bush.

Who was that masked man? and why did he rob me?

Sure Babe, I'll call you.

Like that ?...
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

<<<<sniicker>>>>

Well, yeah, something like that! :lol:

H
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

There was a large hardware dealer named Montgomery & Co that started in 1876 at 105 Fulton St. in New York City. Very cool catalogs, if you manage to find one from a hundred years or so ago. Perhaps they moved across from NYC to NJ later years?

If so, I'd guess your vise was OEM'd by someone else and labeled by Montgomery & Co. Yours looks post WWII to me.
Scott

Post by Scott »

patrick wrote: Socrates said, "the richest man is the one who is contented with least"
It works for everything, but machine tools/welders etc.... :mrgreen: