Fixed my old pocketknife

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

alphawolf45

Fixed my old pocketknife

Post by alphawolf45 »

Dad gave me a wore out pocketknife 43 years ago and I kept it all these years..I am sentimental sort..You've seen the guns that I built, they are nearly all copies of guns that I inherited from Dad and Granddad.....anyway,anyway............

The old knife was made prior to 1938..By time it was given to me two of the blades were entirely broke off and the main blade was wore down to 2/3rds what it had been..I made 3 new blades for it this weekend..
This isnt to show knife work but entirely about the satisfaction of working in the home workshop...After you have all the tools and know how to use'em you can do nearly anything , even decide to spend a full weekend making new blades for old knife should have been thrown away 40 years ago..
It turned out well enough. I will carry it around and use it a while.....
Attachments
Hibbard spencer pocket knife 75percent.jpg
My Hibbard folder construction.jpg
My Hibbard folder construction.jpg (118.28 KiB) Viewed 6093 times
My Hibbard folder construction family.jpg
My Hibbard folder construction family.jpg (108.05 KiB) Viewed 6093 times
My Hibbard after heat treat.jpg
My Hibbard after heat treat.jpg (102.52 KiB) Viewed 6093 times
oldvan

Re: Fixed my old pocketknife

Post by oldvan »

Nice.

Harder to fix the problem with mine, I dropped it into a creek while trout fishing and was unable to find it.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

That is nice workmanship in addition to being a really nice thing to do! Congratulations!
Don Young
spro

Post by spro »

Nice work. I did a few. The steel I used wouldn't be milled out that way, it was cut with carbide blade then mostly ground to shape. one interesting was the Bailey's Tool Co pocketknife (iirc) It had little pliers at one end and the handle for that was also the hoof scraper. A flat blade screwdriver ran the center length as the spine. Anyway I made the sabot or bayonett style knife blade. The pins are important for if they are too soft they can deform and split a stag or bone handle. The main pins in the bolsters shouldn't stand out. I used a certain type I cannot remember now. It was an experiment at the time and 17-20 years later it hasn't discolored or become loose. There is an art to bringing these down to surface and deforming them to hold tight then filing Only the pin without touching the bolster. So that after being in a pocket some years it blends in. :)
spro

Post by spro »

I sortof rambled around to another thing. You really did Save that knife.
thomas harris

Post by thomas harris »

impressive you have held onto a knife that long. I trapped/hunted much in my younger years and my knife was always there. until it got lost and replaced. schrade "oldtimers" were my favorites. skinned many a muskrat with them. usually kept mine sharp as a razor. always had it in my pocket at school. never flashed it or considered using it for personal protection. too smart to put myself in that position. (pat. pat.) Nowadays it's instant expulsion and third degree if found on most public property. what happens to that collection of pocket knives at the airport security anyway? I know the customs in mexico wanted to confiscate my sons unopened bag of beef jerky, and I immediately opened it and dumped it into the garbage can so they couldn't pig-out on it during lunch break. I digress....
atlas 618,MM challenger wire welder, 4x6 cheapo bandsaw, assorted junk, spears for hunting mastadons.
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

Spro
That picture was taken before it was finished.. Everything come out flush and slick and sharp and tight.. As I said though this post isnt about knife making but about the satisfaction of working in ones own home machineshop...These projects give me excuse to play with my toys.
Yeah like you,I used carbide to cut out the blades.....Also Used my heat treat furnace and Rockwell hardness tester with the project..Could have cut the blades out with my plasma burner or one of my 2 cnc bed mills...I could do a professional job of it if had sufficient motivation but its just an old knife .Now that I got it fixed up I'll probably lose it :mrgreen:
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

dly31
I certainly appreciate the compliment..Its a lot of satisfaction working in ones own shop..

thomas harris
Times have sure changed
My senior year of Highschool was 1974.We never gave it a thought . Me and friends drove to school with our shotguns in the trunk so we could bust bunnies after school before we went home..Now a hand drawn picture of a gun will get you suspended...??!!..
Then about 1980 cop stopped me for speeding and I was driving home from a party and so drunk I could barely walk but cop just gave me speeding ticket and told me to drive straight on home..That was big city of Peoria illinois..Nowadays they take you straight to jail...'course thats how it should be ..Drunks shouldnt be driving. :roll: