Hello all, and Jet 1236PS 1236-PS

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

swatson144

Hello all, and Jet 1236PS 1236-PS

Post by swatson144 »

I'm fairly new here with only a couple posts. I recently acquired the 3rd lathe I've ever owned. A jet 1236PS and I thought I'd post about it since I started looking for info and it was no real luck. I found where a lot of others were looking for manuals and info and kept getting sent to http://www.jettools.com/us/manufacturing/en/home.html and to look for the manual under support. No good that, it ain't there, nor is it on the online manuals.com places. So I called them and asked if I could get it and there was no problem she sent several .pdf that may be appropriate for the 1236 and the Jet 16 milling drilling machine via email for free. Happiness and info. Life is good. If anyone needs a manual for this or the 1024 PM or email and I'll send them.

I was a little surprised about the lack of info, as there is so much going on with the little 9x20 (which I also own and run), but I guess these machines land on a pad and go to work mostly.

I changed it over to 220V with some confusion. The wiring diag. in the manual seemed like it would work so I went that way. Experience told me I didn't need to change most every wire like they showed but only a couple. I figured they weren't wrong as their method also put the fields in series but flipped one and reversed the rotation wires. So I went their way, worst case was the switch would be backward if I was right. Plugged in and lifting the switch lever made it run in reverse. I like it so if something goes wrong pushing down stops it :-) so I changed the direction wires back. There was no diagram in the motor.

It's turning out to be about where I want to be in garage machining. Power cross feed, reversible both in feed and turn, feed separate from threading. I do a lot of small work and between it and the 9x20 I think it is covered.

Now naturally there is some strangeness... Likely because of poor retention of reading the manual. Admittedly I use the manuals as a reference vice study material.

1st was kinda a bummer because I thought the only way to do longitudinal feed was on the 1/2 nuts. I was bummed! Then after running a bit that way I started to look and experiment strangely enough I found that raising the lever for the cross feed moved the saddle :oops: This actually seems to work well and very smoothly. I later saw that there was a sentence in the manual saying that.

2nd I'm still trying to figure out. The manual states that there is a MT4 taper in the spindle. NOT. The manual states that the spindle bore is 1 3/8" it is actually 1 1/2". There is a ground area in the spindle nose which I haven't checked on too much. It may be tapered but if it is it certainly is straighter than an MT. I can run a piece of 1.5" cold rolled through the spindle so I'm good on rifle barrels :-). A 5c collet easily passes the bore. Worst case is I have to make or buy a collet chuck.

Pic bellow after placing but prior to cleaning. It had sat uncovered for about 20yrs in a garage. It was grimy but cleaned up well with no rust where it mattered. No tooling was included but it came with a 6" Yamakawa scroll chuck a and a 8" 4 jaw that isn't a pain.

Steve
Attachments
Lathe HT.JPG
John Evans

Re: Hello all, and Jet 1236PS 1236-PS

Post by John Evans »

With a 1.5 spindle bore I would suspect Morse #5 taper.
www.chaski.com
EdK

Post by EdK »

It appears to be similar to this Grizzly lathe.

http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/12-x-37-B ... athe/G9249

Take a look at the Grizzly manual and see if it's a reasonable facsimile.

Ed
Vectrax 14x40 lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, MillerMatic 180 MIG.
spro

Post by spro »

This lathe is the predecessor of the ones of the early 1980's.
There was once discussion about how those were better than the later. They share common specs. Taiwan built and with hardened ways they were okay. MT#5 spindle and #2 in the tailstock. They came with a MT5-2 reducer for the spindle.
It appears in these much later they've reverted to the earlier design.
One can look at the tailstock config and see it's different. They are using the earlier platform for other controls.
swatson144

Post by swatson144 »

Mr. Evans and spro I believe you are right on the money with the MT5. I removed the chuck again and measured the "ground area" in the spindle nose. It was 1.72" on the end and stopped 2.5" in at an ID of 1.6" so that matches exactly with a MT5 but really only 1/2 one. Cool on that and it explains a lot.

I probably should have mentioned that both this and the mill/drill were made in 1983. It has hardened ways. It is the 1236PS which uses a barrel switch on a 3rd rod (parallel with the threading shaft and keyed shaft) for fwd off and rev.

I had a bit of trouble figuring out the threading gear chart so I just set it up in the QC box for what should be 8TPI. I soon had a few inches cut that were defiantly a little finer than 8tpi. Soon after I figured out there was a 32t gear where a 40 went and the one I had counted out to be 42 was actually a 40. Since there was no numbers I could see stamped in the gears I took a few mins and counted all the gears and measure them. Marked up the manual no more counting just measure. :shock:

Funny thing my friend who wants to learn machining, was always asking why I ran dies whenever possible and by hand, vice cutting threads. I always told him things happen pretty fast and I gots lots of dies/taps. Watching the 8TPI test right hand cutting at high rpm was an eye opener. Then we slowed it down to a more hobby like speed and let him run it. He'd just spent a couple hours on the 9x10 and had a useful piece he needed out of it.

Incidentally I didn't get any messages that there was replies, but I fixed that in the UCP I hope.

Steve
Rex

Post by Rex »

I recently acquired an Enco 12x24 of about the same vintage. It looks a whole lot like your lathe.
I have it all cleaned up now about to figure out how to wire the motor and install a switch. May take a while.
I could probably use a copy of that manual if you don't mind.

burkheimer at gmail dot com
swatson144

Post by swatson144 »

Hopefully it'll help. It also covers a 1024 so maybe you have a 12" head and tail riding on a 24" bed of the same design. Let me know what the comparison is. I always find it interesting of which lathes share parts. Not much to go on about size, and apparently what is there is not meaning it's accurate. It doesn't even list bolt sizes in the parts list... just "Bolt". Ooops the main point was to say it's sent, and I had to edit to get it in here.

Steve
Rex

Post by Rex »

I have an Enco 1024 sitting 10 feet away, haven't thought to compare the beds.
But this one came from the factory this way I'm pretty sure. It isn't marked 12x24, but after assuming is was a 1236, I measured the OAL vs my 1024 and it's the same.

In fact, the 12" came on a 36" stand, crudely modified to fit. That will take some creative fixing.
Last edited by Rex on Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie W.

Post by Charlie W. »

I had a 1981 or 1983 Jet 12 x 36 for about 10 years but sold it 4 years ago. I think I still have a copy of the manual. The spindle does have a #5 MT taper. Mine had a 8-60 mm thread on the spindle. I still have a nice 6" chuck on a backing plate for it. I had a Sojgren 5c collet closer and collets for it. The guy didn't want it when I sold the lathe but came back later to buy it. I think you lathe is a little newer than the one I had since the FWD/REV switch is on the carriage. I think I remember there being a date on the lathe either on the QC gear box or on the headstock tag.

I liked the Jet lathe a lot but found a 1440 gearhead and decided to upgrade.

Charlie
Rex

Post by Rex »

charlie, your lathe looks a great deal like mine. This one came with no tooling except a 3-jaw chuck and steady rest.
If your orphaned chuck happens to be a 4-jaw, I'd be interested in buying it from you.
stevec

Post by stevec »

Charlie, what make is your 14x40?
My 16x60 has a very similar guard just above the apron handwheel.
And, what the heck is that on the tailstock, a C clamp?
Charlie W.

Post by Charlie W. »

Rex wrote:charlie, your lathe looks a great deal like mine. This one came with no tooling except a 3-jaw chuck and steady rest.
If your orphaned chuck happens to be a 4-jaw, I'd be interested in buying it from you.
Sorry Rex but it is a 3-jaw. I didn't have a 4-jaw for it.

This is the 3-Jaw I still have.

This is the collet closer I had for it.

I made this plug to check the threads in the backing plates I made for it.

Charlie