Anyone using a variable frequency drive phase converter

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

azscj

Anyone using a variable frequency drive phase converter

Post by azscj »

As part of setting up my new Bridgeport in the shop I would like to install a VFD phase converter. I dont have three phase in the shop so I need a phase converter either way. Anyone else running a VFD on theirs? I will try to find a way to mount this near the head so I can change speeds easier on the fly.

I found this online.....anyone else can share what they use or dont use to give me some ideas?
http://www.wnysupply.com/index.cfm/fa/c ... tcat/25262
pete

Re: Anyone using a variable frequency drive phase converter

Post by pete »

One tip? Make sure whatever VFD you buy has reverse capability. You'll need that due to the back gear. I'm using a Baldor VFD so I'm not much help on the ones in your link. AFAIK, You still need to buy a larger HP rated unit than what your motor HP actually is. For example I'm using a 5 hp VFD on a 3 hp motor. There's lots of members here that that have far more experience than I do about this.

Pete
rudd

Post by rudd »

Your link leads to a TECO drive. I own a TECO and an Hitachi. The instructions on the TECO are very hard to understand, the Hitachi instructions are much easier to understand. I may actually get around to putting a reverse and E-stop on the Hitachi powered mill. I *think* I figured out how to put an E-stop on the TECO, but my head hurt so bad by that time I could not decipher the reversing.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

pete wrote:One tip? Make sure whatever VFD you buy has reverse capability. You'll need that due to the back gear. I'm using a Baldor VFD so I'm not much help on the ones in your link. AFAIK, You still need to buy a larger HP rated unit than what your motor HP actually is. For example I'm using a 5 hp VFD on a 3 hp motor. There's lots of members here that that have far more experience than I do about this.

Pete
Using an 'oversize" VFD would not be necessary if the VFD is rated for single phase input. If its HP rating is for 3 phase input, as many are, then it would probably not handle that HP with single phase input. Just read the specifications carefully.
Don Young
spro

Post by spro »

Azscj. The prior info is useful but there is a Lot of info you can read by using the "search" function. VFDs have been a topic of discussion for years here. Pricing, comparisons, techniques for setting up...
ken572

Post by ken572 »

azscj,

This link is what spro is speaking of:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/sea ... mit=Search

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
azscj

Post by azscj »

Ken....good tip. I will read thru some previous threads on this.
In terms of using an "oversize" VFD this is something I have heard before....not the first time. Would be a bit cheaper if I didnt need to purchase an oversize converter.
EdK

Post by EdK »

azscj wrote:Ken....good tip. I will read thru some previous threads on this.
In terms of using an "oversize" VFD this is something I have heard before....not the first time. Would be a bit cheaper if I didnt need to purchase an oversize converter.
You don't need to purchase an over-sized VFD as long as the one you get is rated for single phase input. If it's rated for 3-phase input only and you run it on single phase, then you would probably need to get an over-sized VFD.
Vectrax 14x40 lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, MillerMatic 180 MIG.
gaston

Post by gaston »

the most inportant thing I have learned setting up 3 different vfd's is to not over think it. They are really easy to setup and the usual error is trying to make it harder than it is. I spent a week trying to get the remote off-on, forward- reverse wired and working. When I finally did exactly what the manual said it worked as it should. Seemed like it was too easy and something had to be missing!
The "Chinglish" was the hardest part of the job
Lazz
Location: The Warm Arizona Deserts... Phoenix to be precise...

Post by Lazz »

I own 3 Vfds 2 GE's and one ebay special.. The GE's are wonderful they really do the trick. The Ebay Chinese VFD is on the bench waiting, It works. I spent way too much time over thinking the ebay VFD and struggling with the manual.

The lesson I learned was to read the manual BEFORE I buy stuff I dont understand. If the instructions are hard to start with, they get harder when you fear melting a new toy.

I consulted an electrician about the Ebay vfd and his words of wisdom were.
What ever you do. If it is electrical dont let the smoke out. When the smoke escapes it dosent work any more.
JackF

Post by JackF »

I have heard those words before and I can tell you they are true. No need to ask how i know. :(

Jack.
MarkBall2

Post by MarkBall2 »

I have a TECO on my mill. I can slow it down to around 75hz or run it up to 200hz. Depending on the pulley arrangement, I can run it as slow as 15 rpm or as fast as 3000 rpm. Current set up puts the speed from 90 rpm to 1945 rpm.

Once I read the manual on the CD, it was fairly easy to set up. Mine is on a 20A 220V single phase input circuit, but draws a max of 10A with 3 phase output. I haven't had it bog down at 90 rpm, but I usually take fairly light cuts. At 90 rpm, I have almost instant reverse for tapping. Or so I plan, as I haven't actually tapped anything yet, but do have a project that will require a series of tapped holes.
I haven't always been a nurse...........