1 1/2" Arch Bar Truck Suppliers

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

doublereefed

1 1/2" Arch Bar Truck Suppliers

Post by doublereefed »

I am looking for 1 1/2" arch bar trucks. I know of three suppliers, are there more?

Cannonball
Plum Cove
Allen

Thanks,

-Richard
timmy wheeler

Re: 1 1/2" Arch Bar Truck Suppliers

Post by timmy wheeler »

Real Trains makes some beauties
illigitimi non carborundum
tburzio

Post by tburzio »

timmy wheeler wrote:Real Trains makes some beauties
Not in production, since they can't get the parts brazed. I wish, because the two I have are excellent! (Last checked, 2 weeks ago)
JD Johnson

Post by JD Johnson »

Don't forget Mountain Car and Tom Bee.

JD
timmy wheeler

Post by timmy wheeler »

tburzio wrote:
timmy wheeler wrote:Real Trains makes some beauties
Not in production, since they can't get the parts brazed. I wish, because the two I have are excellent! (Last checked, 2 weeks ago)
They seem to have found a solution for the brazing vendor. They are having trucks made, but production is slow and in small batches. Quality is supposed to be very good. I have a pair on order and they said they will call me when the trucks are delivered. Timmy (ordered them Sept. 29)
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Are you sure Tom Bee makes Arch-bar trucks? I don't see them on their website.

As for castings for trucks, I know Railroad Supply and Little Engines used to offer them, as these trucks went under the tenders of their 4-4-0 engines. I don't know if they still offer them assembled or not.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
tburzio

Post by tburzio »

They seem to have found a solution for the brazing vendor.
I wish you the greatest of luck getting your trucks. If, on the off chance, you do get them, please let us know as we will be heartily surprised.

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

i would not screw with any "cast" arch bar trucks unless they are going on show cars, then again, I would not put a cast arch bar truck under a show car.

The best i have seen from a suppler so far have been from Real Train,
Dad bought me a pair when i was just getting started with the American, they lived under the tender for 7ish years before being replaced with the existing booster truck and its mate.
they now live under my cattle car.

They are top notch!!!
and i will not think twice buying another set if the need arrives.. .
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
timmy wheeler

Post by timmy wheeler »

The vendor explained the difficulty he was having in production, layed out his current solution, let me know their were orders ahead of mine, made no promises on time of delivery, and would accept no money until delivery. The vendor made sure my expectations were realistic.

I have had good experiences with Real Trains in the past, and I see no reason why this transaction will be any different.
tburzio

Post by tburzio »

timmy wheeler wrote:layed out his current solution,
Yes, I love Bill, he's a great guy that makes wonderful railroad equipment. I've spent years making trips to his shop once a week, listening to the current plans to get our equipment ready that was promised the year earlier. Some of the plans have been interesting, like when George had to recover from a broken arm he got when our order was destroyed in a hit-and-run accident during delivery. I talked to George a month later and asked him how his arm was, and he looked pretty startled that it had been broken, since he hadn't heard...

:mrgreen:
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

cbrew wrote:i would not screw with any "cast" arch bar trucks unless they are going on show cars, then again, I would not put a cast arch bar truck under a show car.

Dad bought me a pair when i was just getting started with the American, they lived under the tender for 7ish years before being replaced with the existing booster truck and its mate.

They are top notch!!!
I agree about cast arch bars....Not enough material of questionable quality. I'd rather buy some flat steel stock and bend my own. Just need the journal boxes to go in them.

I also looked at Tom Bee's site and didn't see any. I know his stuff is top notch. Real Trains has a good reputation as well.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

The Allen tender Journal boxes look good, they just need to be solid so they can ether be bored for ball bearings or milled for "brasses"

I have a set i have not used yet because i have to figure out a "plug" that will allow for use of R6 bearings
Andypullen wrote:
cbrew wrote:i would not screw with any "cast" arch bar trucks unless they are going on show cars, then again, I would not put a cast arch bar truck under a show car.

They are top notch!!!
I agree about cast arch bars....Not enough material of questionable quality. I'd rather buy some flat steel stock and bend my own. Just need the journal boxes to go in them.

I also looked at Tom Bee's site and didn't see any. I know his stuff is top notch. Real Trains has a good reputation as well.

Andy Pullen
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.