Thoughts on private messages

Get community help here, post test messages, suggestions etc. I will also document here changes that take place such as maintenance and upgrades.

Moderators: Harold_V, Marty_Escarcega

JackF

Re: Thoughts on private messages

Post by JackF »

Harold,

I don't think you have to worry about a vigilante committee being formed for your removal. :shock: :wink: The help you and the other more experienced members provide makes this forum my go too site for problem solving. :D

Jack.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Chuckle!

Well, yeah, not now. They're (the vigilante committee) already gone from this board. For that I am grateful.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Harold not on the board to me would be like "grasshopper" not having "master". I do not dare to post stuff very often due to my naivety. I just read, learn and apply. I then screw it up, come back and re-read, actually learn, then apply. Life to me at this point is more about ruining good steel than actually making something I would be proud to show anyone on this board. Keep the advice coming Harold, I for one appreciate it greatly. Sign me a "findable lurker".
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Torch

Post by Torch »

Ok, I've been away from the forum for the last month or so due to conflicting demands on my time (death in the family, flooding, work, etc.).

So I finally had a few minutes to try and catch up, and first thing I see is this thread has been turned into a sticky. And the first unread messages in this thread are talking about Harold being chased off the board!!! :shock:

Praise Be, further reading showed it was a tempest in a teapot, but DON'T DO THIS TO ME AGAIN PEOPLE. I don't think my heart can take it.

Thankyou for your consideration.

:wink:

PS: Thanks for all your help over the years, Harold. And Jose, and Glen, and Marty and all the other fellows who don't happen to be moderators but share so much of their experience.
chooch

Post by chooch »

A " cliché"? measure Twice--cut Once. Well this one. Read message twice, then twice more.

Read above from Torch-"SAT",-May 4th. Read Build message from Hudson Honey-"SAT",-May 3rd.
Wait, what gives? Both Saturday, May 4 and May 3. Good Grief. two different years!!
Have a funny day. :-)
ronm

Post by ronm »

You do realize that it's now 3 different years? That was 2012 & 2013, & it's now 2014?
Just checkin'... :)
Torch

Post by Torch »

It's the thread that never ends,
it just goes on and on my friends.
Some people started typing it not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue discussing it forever just because ...
(repeat)

(with apologies to Shari Lewis)
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

To bad this forum software doesn't send you an email notice that you have a message waiting, such as Chaiski and other forums do. I think one of the sailing or mountain biking forums actually quotes the message in the body of the email.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Torch

Post by Torch »

Top right corner of your screen, "User Control Panel". Then "Board Preferences" on the left sidebar. Finally, click the radio button for "Notify me on new private messages". End of problem.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

It would be nice if the site software did that automatically. There is a gentleman who I sent a pm to who hasn't been logged onto the site in quite some time. It would be nice to communicate with him.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

redneckalbertan wrote:It would be nice if the site software did that automatically. There is a gentleman who I sent a pm to who hasn't been logged onto the site in quite some time. It would be nice to communicate with him.
In the past I've offered to send an email to a person who may not make a regular showing on the board. As a moderator, I have access to email addresses. I am not willing to disclose an email address, to protect those who may not wish to have it known publicly, so by my sending notice that others seek them, they have the option of responding, or not. You may or may not hear from the individual.

If you'd like me to send an email, requesting they contact you, I must know the individual's board name.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
roundnose

Post by roundnose »

Hopefully no one has the bad experience I have had picking up a troll that has attempted to damage my business, by stalking me and contacting people I am involved with, and well, saying not nice things.
I will apologize, for not accepting any private messages on any forum regarding any subject, on sound legal advice, because of continuing problems.
I am in a competitive market, and must protect my business, but there is no physical threat to me from the troll however.
I do like to talk machines on open forum only.