OK, it happened again-I can't stand any more...

Get community help here, post test messages, suggestions etc. I will also document here changes that take place such as maintenance and upgrades.

Moderators: Harold_V, Marty_Escarcega

ronm

OK, it happened again-I can't stand any more...

Post by ronm »

Why, when I go to post a reply, does it say "Someone else is logged on under your username.", when I think I'm logged on? Then I have to dump my post to log on, & I'm usually too PO'ed to retype the whole thing again... The forum has missed out on several real "pearls of wisdom" this way. What do I do? I tried to activate the "remember me" button, but it "forgets" me-:o( I know I'm barely computer literate, but JEEZ!
Ron in CO...
Harold_V

Re: OK, it happened again-I can't stand any more...

Post by Harold_V »

Ron,
While I can't help you with the technical problem you're having, I can make one suggestion, one that I follow myself, that will keep you from losing your hard work when the problem occurs, with the added benefit of spell checking your work (though you may not need that function, unlike me).

When ever I post, I type the entire message in the "Post" box, which I then highlight. I then hit the edit button and cut the entry, which is then pasted to a new email and spell checked. When I'm satisfied that I have said what I intend to post, I then highlight the entire message yet again, then copy it. I then save the email until it has been satisfactorily posted. To post, all I do is return to the board, where the cursor is already in the "Post" box, ready for me to paste the copied message. Works great, at least on my system.

Hope this helps, though it might be a good idea to find why the system doesn't remember you. Perhaps Marty will lend a hand.

Regards,

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Jacin in Ohio

Post by Jacin in Ohio »

Ron, I also can't help with your problem BUT!!!!! Here's little trick I do form time to time in those "IFFY" computer situations. After typing a PEARL OF WISDOM I will highlight the whole thing and hit "COPY" - this will keep a temporary copy of the post in your clipboard. Which you can just leave there or past it to a safer (permanent) place. I use it as a sorta quick down and dirty "cheap insurance" if your post should crash of any other technicla issue you can usually recover this way. One word of caution though - IF you should "CUT" "COPY" etc etc anything else you will have over written your origional copy. Sorta a lazy man's way to prevent undo frustration. Harold's method is by far safer, but if time is an issue this method can be of soem help.
It's worked for me!!!

Good Luck
davestea

Post by davestea »

Good Answer Harold -

I have been doing the same general thing for a long time - when I have a long post and want a spell check - or want to make sure it doesn't get screwed up (read I blew it!)

I like your idea of using your e-mail - I use Word but e-mail is clean - is still plain text as is this forum - and easy to use.
Dave
Smithy 3in1, Select Mill, Atlas 6" lathe
Al Messer

Post by Al Messer »

Don' feel like the Lone Ranger--it started treating me like that this week.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Why, when I go to post a reply, does it say "Someone else is logged on under your username.", when I think I'm logged on? Then I have to dump my post to log on, & I'm usually too PO'ed to retype the whole thing again... The forum has missed out on several real "pearls of wisdom" this way. What do I do? I tried to activate the "remember me" button, but it "forgets" me-:o( I know I'm barely computer literate, but JEEZ!
Ron in CO...

If you have problems logging in, its usually due to a grunged or expired cookie on your PC.
Clear your cookies and cache file within your browser and relog in.
When you click the remember me box, DO NOT LOGOUT when you are done.Just close the window or browse another site.

To make sure you are logged in, look in the menu bar at the top of the page, it should read LOGOUT.

Marty
Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"