Weld pan corners from inside or outside?

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Matt_Isserstedt

Weld pan corners from inside or outside?

Post by Matt_Isserstedt »

Suppose one has bent up a sheet-pan from some 16ga steel.

What is the preferred welding arrangement for making it leak-tite at the corners, weld inside or outside? Really I'm asking about which is easiest or most controllable.

Suppose for argument's sake that we "stick" only to TiG welding and eliminate other viable alternatives such as brazing or silver-soldering.

TIA
-Matt
Scott

Re: Weld pan corners from inside or outside?

Post by Scott »

Matt,ouside for sure,a fillet joint is way harder to weld up then a outside corner joint.If you leave a little bit of overhang of the bent pieces,you probably would not have to add filler(fusion welding)
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

If you can lay a pretty bead, I would say to orient that pan so you are making a horizontal fillet weld on the inside of the corner. Much easier to grind for any necessary cleanup on the outside on the corner. I suppose it wouldn't matter at all to a very good welder which side to lay the bead on but for this welder (me) - that simply ain't true. I have a chip pan under my 7" Atlas shaper that somebody gobbed up a weld on the inside of the corners - took a couple of hours with a die grinder to clean up the mess. Had that mess been on the outside corners, 5 minutes with the angle grinder would have been enough.
It's probably too late to leave a tab and spot weld it. If I was making a few I think I would opt for this method and braze afterward to seal (liquid tight). My 2 cents.

EDIT:
Sorry, I misread the original post (thought it said, stick or TIG) and answered based on stick welding. I personally wouldn't waste the cover gas on this type project except of coarse if the steel was stainless steel.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
Grue

Post by Grue »

Scott's spot on! I do these with oxy, gentle flame. Most don't need any further dressing.

Glenn