Dressing a diamond grinding wheel

This is where bits of wisdom will be stored, a frequently asked question section with answers.

Moderator: Harold_V

earlgo

Dressing a diamond grinding wheel

Post by earlgo »

Please tell me the proper cost effective way to dress a diamond grinding wheel. I have one that is a square wheel about 1/4" thick. The edge has become rounded a bit and mot parallel with the axis so that it doesn't work properly on end mills.
Any suggestions?
thanks,
earlgo--
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Harold_V

Re: Dressing a diamond grinding wheel

Post by Harold_V »

I am unable to provide any guidance in dressing diamond wheels.

I am curious, however, if you are using a diamond wheel for sharpening end mills that are not carbide. If you're using a diamond wheel for HSS, you're making a big mistake. If you're not using aluminum oxide for that operation, you should be using a CBN wheel.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Carbide it is, Harold. I use Norton SG wheels for most other applications. Requires less dressing and does not load up nearly as fast as a ruby wheel. Bloody expensive though, but makes up for it in less dressing downtime.
Thanks for your input, though.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Quite correct. Steel of any sort 'eats' the carbon lattice that is Diamond. Yet Diamond is what is used to shape most all of the other grinding wheels, regardless of makeup, for shaping steels in grinding operations.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

I think this should be in (General Discussion),

instead of (Resource Library) You Think :?:

It's not a Book or an article Posting.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Depends. If someone can provide proper guidance for dressing a diamond wheel, this is a good place for the information, as this forum is intended to be a resource for such matters. If nothing comes from the question, with no real resolution, yeah, maybe in the general discussion forum. Not a real issue, as those who are serious about learning tend to read all posts in all venues.

Fortunately, wisdom was used when titling the subject matter ----so a search on that particular subject would yield results, regardless of where it's posted on the board.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Thanks Harold,

I guess I missunderstood how this was suppose to be used.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!