Alcalde & Coalfield High Line

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: Alcalde & Coalfield High Line

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Got a bit more done on the turntable this weekend. The linkage and operating handles were finished up. Openings had to be made in the bulkheads for the link rod and provision for the over center spring. This spring will help to ensure that the locking pin will be either fully retracted, or fully engaged. Later on, a red - green signal is planned for the turntable approach. This locking pin will engage a micro switch when the turntable is set for the approach and locked in place. Green light! The second photo is some handles I am working on. They will weld to some little plates that will rivet to sides the turntable near the ends. I had a picture of some mounting plates in my minds eye and made them. But when I held them up and ogled them they looked jive to me. Scrap box! Now that I have made some wrong, I now know what some right ones will look like. This is how we learn! Much of what I do is just sticking my thumb out, and that is mostly what this little turntable is. A 3-D cartoon in steel, of what I think a turntable should look like. It's a cute little bugger, only eight feet long. Time to start slamming rivets. Too much fun!
Happy Model Building
Jack
Attachments
Turntable1.jpg
Turntable2.jpg
Turntable3.jpg
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

JBodenmann wrote:Openings had to be made in the bulkheads for the link rod and provision for the over center spring. This spring will help to ensure that the locking pin will be either fully retracted, or fully engaged.
If you have a picture of this over centre spring assembly and linkage that you are willing to share I would love to see it.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
The over center spring assembly is just a little pile of parts at this time. When it starts to go together I will post a photo.
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is an update on the high line. The turntable bits are ready for riveting. Everything to be riveted together was metal prepped and shot with Rustoleum primer to help prevent rust later on. In this first photo we have Jasco paint prep solution, red scotch brite for a good scrub, and nitrile gloves to keep the nasty stuff off our hands. Then the grab irons, just 1/2" round stock heated up and bent, with some little steel doughnuts stuck on with the TIG welder. Third a gaggle O bits squirted with primer ready for riveting together in the morning. Then most of the locking mechanism linkage, all just made up from bar stock, too much fun!
Attachments
PaintPrep1.jpg
Grabirons.jpg
Primer.jpg
Bits&Pieces.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here are a few more. First the side sheets, drilled, de burred, prepped and shot with primer. Rustoleum rust stop rattle can primer. This is good paint if you just want protection. If you want a super glossy finish automotive paint is what you need. Last two, the high line valley division. No shortage of things to do!
Jack
Attachments
SideSheets.jpg
ValleyDivision1.jpg
ValleyDivision2.jpg
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Jack,

Sure looks rather dry on the new grade area. Have you received any rain to help settle all the recently moved earth?

The turntable certainly looks like a scale turntable instead of a few pieces of structural steel welded together. With the level of detail it will give the engine house some competition for realistic photos.

A friend found a durable cast concrete rattle snake and placed it very close to his home track. He would slow down when passing the location of the snake hoping his passengers would observe the rather large reptile only a few inches away. More than one passenger has suffered an increase in blood pressure the first time around the track. I suggested a station sign of "Rattlesnake" for that location. The Hetch Hetchy Railroad actually had a station named Rattlesnake in honor of the plethora of pit vipers discovered in the area during construction of the railroad.

Robert
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Jack, is that your daily driver just showing in the top photo of the last lot? (with the turntable sides on the sawhorses)

:)

James Powell
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Many would say that I have rocks in my head, well I can't really dispute that, but here is one I fished out of the mountain division cut the other day. Been real busy and head up to to the mountains to work on the railroad when I can. Mostly grading and planting trees.
No shortage of things to do!
Jack
Attachments
Rock.jpg
JDPRR

Post by JDPRR »

What type of motive power will you be running on the highline?
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Motive power, probably whatever shows up. I have steam but my guests will be able to run whatever they bring. My only rule is that any engines must be set up for high line running.
Jack
JDPRR

Post by JDPRR »

What type of locomotives do you have? My next question is a little off topic, but will a 3/4 scale A3 switcher pull 400lbs on a slight grade?
Ray Cadd

Post by Ray Cadd »

Jack- when you say set up for high line running, can you expand on that a bit?
Ray Cadd

2.5" scale Allen Chloe saddle tank
2.5" scale RMI switcher
2.5" scale LE "Crab"
4.75" ga. O.S. "Koppel"
3.5" ga. "Fanny"
asst. ga1...