Scale Diamond Plate...opinion poll

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Highiron

Scale Diamond Plate...opinion poll

Post by Highiron »

Hello all

The porpose of this posting is to get opinion on a new scale diamond plate pattern

As announced I have started producing and selling a Diamond Tread Plate etched is brass and it has been selling well.
I have had many inquireies about it not being true to scale which it is not. it is a representation of it.

I bit the bullet and spent the time and money to have tooling made to scale to make True Scale Diamond plate.
this was done from an actual piece of diamond plate from a locomotive and is scaled to 1.6 from the sample, there are many different types of Diamond plate in varying sizes so this new product will really work for 1.5 or 1.6 depending on what the proto type might have been

The question is,
what is the general opinion and want of those building today, do you want what we are use to or would you rather have true scale?
there will be no difference in coast unless the price of brass changes from run to run

if there is enough intrest I might even consider carrying both styles

so what is your wants the original (as pictured below)
DTP15-FS  Close Up.jpg
or the new true scale ( as in the next 2 photos)
True Scale  TSDP1516-FS Close Up.jpg
True Scale  TSDP1516-FS.jpg
I am going to make another run with in the next 10 days and want to see which 1 to do or maybe both
thanks in advance for your opinion

Mike Venezia
Little Engines
Sandiapaul

Re: Scale Diamond Plate...opinion poll

Post by Sandiapaul »

True scale, no question. Looks like nice stuff!
fly5150

Post by fly5150 »

True Scale. Just wish the price was not so high....
chooch

Post by chooch »

1--I am Not a true to scale 100% builder but freelance to look Good, Close, on the cheap and a Trash picker.
2--I can`t afford "any ones" Diamond plate material.
3--I would like some Diamond plate at times though.
4--However, My opinion would be the "True Scale"
5--It looks Super Great!! Much better than your first photo.
----------
While on the subject may I further comment.
Why carry Two type Diamond plate, "Unless" the First sample might look more attractive to a little larger gauges. If the prices are or, might be the same, would you have "lesser scale" dollars left sitting on the shelf?
Jes` thinkin`
Thank you.
chooch
Raj S

Post by Raj S »

I think the true scale looks better Mike. Thanks for asking. I've been wanting to some detail work on my loco and may go with true scale now that I see it. Raj
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I think the True Scale looks a lot better. I think it is more pleasing to the eye. At least mine.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

chooch wrote: Why carry Two type Diamond plate, "Unless" the First sample might look more attractive to a little larger gauges. If the prices are or, might be the same, would you have "lesser scale" dollars left sitting on the shelf?
Jes` thinkin`
Thank you.
chooch
Larry

The reason that I might possbly carry both is that the first-NON-Scale is close to what Real Trains use to sell and there are many folks who need some to finish a project, I did the True Scale due to the requests for it...and want the input of those in the hobby to see if it is what they want anf if I should run it...right now all the feed back leans towards keeping them both on the shelf but I will give it a week to see and read the feed back from all the avenues I have posted it on...the true scale fits a need for those who are really deatail modeling, I buy in bulk to help keep the price down and my pricing is waaaaay under what others were selling similar product for

Mike
LocoJerome

Post by LocoJerome »

Mike,

The previous diamond plate looks nice but my vote is definitely for the new version. If your taking requests, how about an upgrade path for those that may have just bought a large sheet of the previous version. :wink:

Jerome
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

I am not in the market for any right now, and probably won't be for the next five years, (But am planning on it!!) but I when I get there I would prefer something true to scale.
765nkp

Post by 765nkp »

Hey Mike the true scale plate looks great!
I have never really cared much for the real trains stuff myself, its nice but a little off to me.
Tim
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

I'll also vote for the true scale plate.

Looks 1000% better than the "diamond plate" I made for my 0-4-0 on my shaper a number of years ago.

The 2-8-0 will need some....

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
r2brick

Post by r2brick »

Mike, The True Scale is my choice, however if both styles can be stocked that would be the way to go!! Richard