Making friends with machine shops

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

WJH

Making friends with machine shops

Post by WJH »

So today I did a google search for local machine shops near where I live. I simply wanted small quantities of cutoff's that were destined to the scrapper. 2 out of the 4 refused to even deal with me as a hobbyist machinist, 1 out of 4 said they would call me back but never did, and one of them said, "I'll be here till 5, I have some stuff for you"
Well this one machine shop, I walked in, and saw 7 or 8 HAAS machining centers, a very nice HAAS CNC lathe, some manual machines, and other stuff that made my mouth water. Well, he went and grabbed a box, and told me to follow him. We went to the corner of the building and he had bins full of 303ss, 2024, 6061, 1018, 4130, etc.. He asked what I wanted, and I said a little of everything. I told him I never machined 303, or 2024 before, so he gave me a bunch to try out. Gave me some 1018 to practice my tig welding with, etc. I was rather speechless that he gave me so much.
I couldn't imagine mail ordering all these samples to try out, would of been cost prohibitive! Was a very productive day!
John Evans

Re: Making friends with machine shops

Post by John Evans »

Well I would go back by with a box of donuts and now days maybe some yogert for the health types.
www.chaski.com
spro

Post by spro »

Yes a very productive day. The man who allowed you to take some scrap must have been similar to one who allowed me to go outside their dumpster years ago. Even then, they couldn't allow diving into the dumpsters but at least I could pick up some cut-offs that didn't make it in. Like you, I wasn't a pig about it and took what I thought was useable.
This is a constrained way of sharing from their profession to your new passion. Many of them know it and it just isn't possible anymore with liabilities. There is weighing, forms, accounting and cameras. There are much fewer machine shops left. The ones which remained had every manner of record of how they produced or repaired Important elements of even more Vital machinery to power Essential systems. There was no one else. These days when national security of anything is of less importance, I expect the scrutiny of remaining shops will be tighter. Good you had a window before that.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

WJH wrote:I told him I never machined 303, or 2024 before, so he gave me a bunch to try out.
Both are a pleasure to machine. Both share a common trait in that each of them cut with a rather frosty surface, although the finish is quite good. Don't let the dull finish discourage you. If being shiny is important, each will respond to polishing.

You should understand that neither of them are recommended to be welded (not that you had that in mind, but it's part of understanding various alloys and how they can be used).

I'm amazed at the generosity of some folks. Take care of this guy, as he's a gem.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
WJH

Post by WJH »

He likes trains, so I will show him my locomotive project as I progress with it. Yes, a box of donuts is a good idea!
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Box of doughnuts! For that Guy it sounds He jumped into steak territory!
atty

Post by atty »

Make that Filets and Rib-Eyes even.
RSG

Post by RSG »

mcostello wrote:Box of doughnuts! For that Guy it sounds He jumped into steak territory!
X2

If someone helps me I tend to bend over backwards to repay the favour. That kindness goes along way but can be abused so look after him well.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
silence dogood

Post by silence dogood »

I have a friend whom once ran a window glass shop. Over the years he has accumulated lots of aluminum that he recycles. He's retired(?) and recycles many metals to sell to certain dealers. My shed was once full of cast iron sewer pipe and old appliances. The last three years we have traded what metal that I have with what may work for a project that I'm working on. An example, the old window sash weights make not to bad lathe turning stock. One thing that he appreciates is that I take the time to separate the metals and throw out stuff like fiberglass. Mark
spro

Post by spro »

Right on and good.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

WJH wrote:So today I did a google search for local machine shops near where I live. I simply wanted small quantities of cutoff's that were destined to the scrapper. 2 out of the 4 refused to even deal with me as a hobbyist machinist, 1 out of 4 said they would call me back but never did, and one of them said, "I'll be here till 5, I have some stuff for you"
Well this one machine shop, I walked in, and saw 7 or 8 HAAS machining centers, a very nice HAAS CNC lathe, some manual machines, and other stuff that made my mouth water. Well, he went and grabbed a box, and told me to follow him. We went to the corner of the building and he had bins full of 303ss, 2024, 6061, 1018, 4130, etc.. He asked what I wanted, and I said a little of everything. I told him I never machined 303, or 2024 before, so he gave me a bunch to try out. Gave me some 1018 to practice my tig welding with, etc. I was rather speechless that he gave me so much.
I couldn't imagine mail ordering all these samples to try out, would of been cost prohibitive! Was a very productive day!
So if you are ever asked to recomend a machineing shop, who will you recomend?!

Donuts are a great way to say thank you, but this may also be an opportunity to take this fine gentleman with you to a local live steam club once your engine is up and running!