Flea Market Tips?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Flea Market Tips?

Post by SteveHGraham »

Today I decided to visit a flea market. Seems like everyone but me is bringing home amazing flea market finds, so I gave it a shot. I went to the Swap Shop in Fort Lauderdale. Unfortunately, when I got there (2:40 p.m.), people were packing their stuff up to go home.

I am wondering; are there things a person needs to know about getting good stuff at flea markets? For example, are some days of the week better than others? Is it best to get there early in the day?

I saw a lot of small tools that didn't look too bad, but nothing really begged me to buy it. I found two cast iron chicken fryers that were of acceptable quality but too modern for my tastes.

I saw a Hitachi demo hammer that looked nice, but I wasn't sure if it was any bigger than the Makita rotary hammer I already have.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Russ Hanscom

Re: Flea Market Tips?

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Go early,

Know the reasonable prices well.

Ask pointed questions.

Test if possible.

Check for fleas before going home.,
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Know your prices! I was looking at the results of an auction close by me here, there was a mill that I was interested in but went higher than what I told a buddy to pay for it for me. It was a Craftex mill, same machines as Grizzley, and it sold for a dollar more than what you would buy it for new! No accessories that I know of comming with it that would ad value. So ya, know your prices!
reggie_obe

Post by reggie_obe »

SteveHGraham wrote:Today I decided to visit a flea market. Seems like everyone but me is bringing home amazing flea market finds, so I gave it a shot. I went to the Swap Shop in Fort Lauderdale. Unfortunately, when I got there (2:40 p.m.), people were packing their stuff up to go home.

Early bird gets the worm. Why would you even bother to go after 2pm? I would expect any flemarket or estate sale to be picked over well before noon.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Most people work until 5 p.m., so I figured these people, who are there every day, would not be exceptions.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

2 pm here means You are staring at an empty parking lot.
spro

Post by spro »

The thing about flea markets is that you have to go in there with an open mind. If you have a particular item in mind, you won't see it but you can pass by many other good deals while looking. There is something about being really early and flashlights and dealers buying from dealers and then accept the fact that most everything has already been seen. It is not about trying to beat them at their own stuff. It is to watch other things while an eye is on your search. There are people setting up late and there are those who close early. I used to be too intense but that passed quickly. There is usually something else more important than what I was looking for.
reggie_obe

Post by reggie_obe »

SteveHGraham wrote:Most people work until 5 p.m., so I figured these people, who are there every day, would not be exceptions.
You're confusing a fleamarket with a retail business. Next thing ya know, you'll want convenient evening shopping hours.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Bring a flashlight. Find the guys that are unloading and setting up. Make piles and make a solid bundle offer.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
silence dogood

Post by silence dogood »

Steve, this also can apply to yard sales. Go early, expect nothing or anything. I bought a small Shop fox wood lathe for 15 bucks. The only thing missing were the knock out tool and face plate(later made those). The guy used it once trying to make a bowl. Came out real good on that one. Most of the time, I end up saving my money for something else. Mark
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Some flea markets charge an extra fee to go in early. That can be worth it, if you know there are going to be items if interest (you wouldn't want to pay the extra for a flea market that's mostly toys and clothing).

Get there BEFORE it opens because other people are. All those people ahead of you might snag what you want.

I went to a used musical instrument sale an hour before it opened. I was 6th on line. If I had gotten there 30 minutes later, I would have missed what I came before because a fellow not far behind me wanted the item I was looking at.

Now on garage sales, getting there early has its advantages, but getting there just before closing does as well - people will be much more willing to bargain on what's left.

Steve
WJH

Post by WJH »

Im on the other side of Florida, in Spring Hill. Every weekend there are more tag sales, and estate sales than you could possibly attend at a good enough time. 95% of the time it is over priced junk. People asking ebay prices. The moving sales are the best bets. People selling stuff that works, but don't want to move it half way across the country. They are prefect for buying appliances.
Tools? Especially metal working tools? Good luck! People want a fortune for rusted out junk. Used Machinery dealers are actually a better bet!