Saturated steam

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Jim_Nolan

Saturated steam

Post by Jim_Nolan »

What ever happened to Saturated steam? Did they go out of business?
It used to be they were always advertising now you never see them mentioned.
www.northernsteam.com
pappde

Re: Saturated steam

Post by pappde »

They are incorporated into Small Parts. They do not make anything new, Small Parts just sells of what was left over. Zigi is the contact you have to ask for.
Denes
Dan Willey

Post by Dan Willey »

"They do not make anything new, Small Parts just sells of what was left over. "

So are they only selling castings and such that they have in stock, and once that stock is sold, there will be no more?

Thanks,
Dan
1/8 scale: Mercer Locomotive K4, Saturated Steam E6
Full scale: Woodings CBL speeder/motorcar NARCOA
FredR

Post by FredR »

"They do not make anything new, Small Parts just sells of what was left over. "

So are they only selling castings and such that they have in stock, and once that stock is sold, there will be no more?

Thanks,
Dan

I just downloaded their latest catalog (35+ megs) and I don't see any of the castings they use to sell. I will go though it again and double check it though....

I just checked. They only show Sterling engines (2).

Fred
Doug_Edwards

Post by Doug_Edwards »

Jim,

I don't think they have advertised in almost 5 years. Is there something
you were looking for?

Doug
http://www.precisionlocomotivecastings.com/
Building a 70 ton Willamette in 1.6"
Building a 80 ton Climax in 1.6"

"Aim to improve!"
"Mine is not to question why, mine is just to tool and die"
Jim_Nolan

Post by Jim_Nolan »

Nope nothing, When Modeltec were still printing (?) they used to sell off bundled issues on a particular topic and I bought a set that had all the challenger drawings in it. So I was looking through them reference the other post on circulation tubes. I noticed that Saturated Steam where advertising on the back of, or in every issue. So just got to wondering what happened to them? There was also a series going on about building a Pennsy pacific that seemed to peter out as well what happened to that?
www.northernsteam.com
Jim_Nolan

Post by Jim_Nolan »

Whats the web address Fred ?
www.northernsteam.com
FredR

Post by FredR »

Whats the web address Fred ?

It's www.smallparts.com/products/a Then click on Requet Cat. or d/l on the link right below that..... beware, it's a slow download, even at broadband speeds....

Fred
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Jim,
Here is what I know. Years ago Small Parts had an employee named Leo (LaFond IIRC) who was interested in live steam and model engineering and he talked the owner into entering that market and started SatSteam. Things went well, they mostly had run of the mill stuff, Stuart castings, Fyne Fort Fittings, and the other usual stuff, but they made a contact in England and produced designs and castings for at least three really superb projects, the 1.5" scale PRR E-6 Atlantic, and the Tangye Mill engine in two scales. Two things happened to upset the apple cart, first there was a falling out of some kind between their UK contact and their source for lost wax iron castings for the E6 and Tangye engines disappeared, and not too long afterward Leo passed away. Since there was no one else in the organization who knew the live steam business they closed it down. This has been at least 12 years ago so I would doubt that any of the stock remains. I was once in Miami and stopped in to see Leo but he was out and not another single soul knew a thing about the "steam engine stuff". There was no SatSteam "store", no showroom, no office, just shelf space in the back of the Small Parts warehouse.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Jim_Nolan

Post by Jim_Nolan »

Well although I asked just on speck its always disappointing to here of suppliers or designs dropping out of the hobby. These days with costs being what they are, if the design and patterns are already in existence it’s a shame to see them lost.
www.northernsteam.com
Jim_Nolan

Post by Jim_Nolan »

Thanks, I thought that must be them but did not see any mention of live steam.
www.northernsteam.com
GeorgeGaskill

The Number 20 (year 2000) Small Parts catalog ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

I have at my desk at work shows E6s No. 460 as the cover (thats back-to-front cover) photograph. In fact, the whole inside front cover is devoted to describing it and there is a paragraph on page 1 that says, "Featured on our cover is a recent arrival from Rugby, England: the 1 9/16" scale model of the PRR E6s No. 460. The inside front cover explains the history surrounding this famous locomotive. Don't miss it!"

From the inside front cover:
"A museum quality reproduction of Pennsylvamia Railroad's E6s Atlantic No. 460, the locomotive featured on our front cover is the result of more than ten years of careful planning and machining. Modeled, designed, machined and built by F. Brian Gittins of Rugby, England, this 1 9/16" scale model features a 4 1/2 foot locomotive and a 3-foot tender with a total weight of approximately 900 pounds."

"Working from original drawings, a total of four kits of machined parts and castings were made at the same time. Two of them are still available. You can also obtain a complete series of excellent quality scaled drawings from our Saturated Steam division."

It's not clear if this is a live steam locomotive.