Possible uses for Tile Saw?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Possible uses for Tile Saw?

Post by SteveHGraham »

A tenant abandoned a lot of junk in a warehouse. Today I recovered a very cheap tile saw. This is basically a tiny table saw for tile.

Before I throw it on the trash heap, is there any conceivable use for this thing in a machine shop? I am trying to think of ways to turn it into something useful.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
chucketn

Re: Possible uses for Tile Saw?

Post by chucketn »

That sounds like a thread/sub-forum is needed on repurposing tools. I have a 10" chop saw that a former friend and contractor abandon during construction of my shop(he took off with the last payment, but well before the job was finished). Also just purchased a HF chain saw sharpener that I will probably not have a use for after I finish cutting up the tree that is down in my front yard.

Chuck
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

A tiny table saw would actually be useful. Sometimes I don't feel like wrestling with the Powermatic.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Does it have a diamond blade? Could that be used to sharpen carbide?
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
chucketn

Post by chucketn »

ctwo , if you're asking about the chain saw sharpener, no. It uses a 4 1/4" x 1/8" Aluminum Oxide wheel.
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack Steve's thread.
Chuck
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I meant the tile saw. The last one I used seemed to have a diamond impregnated blade - just the outer 1/4 inch of it on both sides and the edge.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Danged if I know. There must be some use for it.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

The normal tile uses a diamond blade, no teeth, just a gritty surface finish. A tile saw will cut anything resembling tile - ceramics, stone, slate, ... Just be sure to use it with water. Replacement blades are available at your big box or tile stores.

I would not throw it out, never can tell when a tiling project might come up.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Yard sale,or Craigslist, to harvest $25 on a storage problem. It is found money, and should make you glad. Go to a resale, or pawn, and work a trade for something useful TODAY. Some pawns have a lot of machinist bits that are worth the effort.

Sorry to hear about the contractor skating before completion, that happens a lot. It is why I do or did most remodel and maintenance myself, and hired extra hands. That way I get what I want for affordable cost.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
silence dogood

Post by silence dogood »

I know how you feel Steve. I just got a HPC key cutting machine for nothing. Someone abused it and it's old, so it's no good for a locksmith. But it's a real nicely built machine and the motor runs just fine. I just can't figure out what to do with it, yet. Mark
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Sorry, no suggestions on the tile saw, except to use as a tile saw. I've been casually looking for one for some upcoming projects. Like Dave I find I do more of my own project I would prefer to farm out because every time I do, I find I'm not satisfied with what they do, and that often leads to "this is normal" conversations, and my blood pressure rising to bursting. Fortunately I recently found a great sub through a referral, and I've been more than happy with him. So maybe I would be selling that tile saw after all... ;)
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
chucketn

Post by chucketn »

"Sorry to hear about the contractor skating before completion, that happens a lot. It is why I do or did most remodel and maintenance myself, and hired extra hands. That way I get what I want for affordable cost."

What makes it worse, he was a friend, and I thought I was helping him through a rough time...

Chuck