Kombrink's American

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bmalone

Re: Kombrink's American

Post by Bmalone »

Charlie, if you have it at Midsouth in the spring we will have to get some shots of mine and yours together. Mine is now done but I think I am going to make a era passenger car to hold my propane tank.
Brad Malone
Rossville GA

GP-9
Electric Mogul
Little Engines Atlantic
Alco SW2
Kit bashed Mikado
Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Charlie, if you have it at Midsouth in the spring we will have to get some shots of mine and yours together
Hey Bill

I am really looking forward to seeing your engine. You seem to have lost your thread to a general painting discussion.

Have you made any decisions on how to add brakes to the tender or a car behind it.

After you mentioned the car idea I have given thought to the same thing on the gondola car I have.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Bmalone

Post by Bmalone »

The original had vacume brakes on the tender that worked ok but took them off because they tended to drag and we needed all the power that engine could make, not wasting it on dragging brakes. I think I am going to build my passenger car for propane but also add a battery and a small compressor. Harbor freight makes a good one for about $25.00. I did this in one of my box cars and it works well. I did it remote control though. I added a two button wireless transmitter that is recieved by a recieved in the box car. That way I can use it on multiple trains. Plus I can set the brakes without having them hooked to an engine.
Brad Malone
Rossville GA

GP-9
Electric Mogul
Little Engines Atlantic
Alco SW2
Kit bashed Mikado
Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

The bearings worked out great and quieted the valve noise a lot. Runs smooth with no binding.

Finishing up night classes at the local tech school this week and am looking forward to getting those two nights back in the shop. Worth the time though as I got a lot of lathe practice. The next semester is dedicated to more advanced lathe projects with the third on the milling machine. Work is in the way though so I will have to lay out next semester.

The floor for the caboose is built on a 3/4 thick piece of plywood scrap from the shop. It is 30 x 13 3/4 inches.

I was going to scribe the lines but it really looked bad with the oak grain being too pronounced.

Ended up planking it over with some spruce planks cut down on a model saw. One coat of yellow dye/stain and a coat of sanding sealer so far.
DSC_3661.JPG
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Mine is now done but I think I am going to make a era passenger car to hold my propane tank.
Hey Brad,

Curious as to how much you have run the propane? How does it fire and how long does a tank last you while running?

Mine is coal fired. Larry mentioned years ago that the engine fired very poorly and had trouble holding steam at the 8500 feet altitude he lived at. After a while he added an arch that solved all his problems.

Having only run the engine in Colorado a few times I remember that it seemed to run just fine. I was able to run it once here and it fired right off and burned with no problems. I believe the arch may also be helping with the ash as when I cleaned it out after the short run at MSLS there was no ash to speak of in the tubes or smoke box.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Bmalone

Post by Bmalone »

It fires very well on Propane. That's all we have ever run it on. Bill Conner built the burners for it. It has 6 burners plus a pilot. We run it on about 5 PSI of preasure. It does not have an arch. It's nice though because it only holds about 7 liters of water in the boiler so it is much easier to manage the fire with propane.
Brad Malone
Rossville GA

GP-9
Electric Mogul
Little Engines Atlantic
Alco SW2
Kit bashed Mikado
Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Scaled up Bobber Caboose by Rudy Kouhoupt

Framing started tonight
DSC_3666.JPG
DSC_3667.JPG
I have almost all the required parts to frame it up. Just need 35 mm bearings for the wheel.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hey Charlie,

Looks like you are having a blast with your American. I wish I could say the same with the Campbell locomotive, but I keep getting myself sidetracked buying stuff that needs more repair than the repair itself. Anyway, your consist is looking great! I hope to get started on my tender in January. AND seeing your caboose, I think I will work on the same also!

Thanks again for the wheels!

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Coming along.
DSC_3676.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Charlie,

Don't forget to add the caboose to the project list under your name. :wink:
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

It comes in spurts.

I am slowly sticking on the outside planking as I get a few minutes in the shop.
DSC_3675.jpg

I have a little more than a fourth of it planked.
DSC_3679.jpg

Tonight I also did the mill work to put the 3/8 inch notches in the sides of the Aluminum Journal Boxes. They will be larger than scale as I am making them oversized for ball bearings. The idea is to be a low maintenance car. Also there is the issue that the American was not really meant to pull a lot of drag so the caboose and gondola both have Ball Bearings.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Taking advice from Fender I went with a smaller bearing I had laying in the shop. He questioned my large bearings on a car that is to be finished out scale and not a load carrier.

This required putting the wheel/axle assemblies back in the lathe and turning the alxe ends down to .375 for the smaller bearing ID.
DSC_3682.jpg
DSC_3684.jpg
I am redoing my design drawings for a more scale sized journal box.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American