Question on Sheetmetal gauge

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Roy

Question on Sheetmetal gauge

Post by Roy »

I am making a vertical bandsaw, and will be making a totally enclosed covers for it. Nothing fancy, just the basic square look of a DoAll type saw. I can get 14 ga or 16 ga sheet steel. This is for all the covers and the access doors etc. Is 16 ga to thin or should I go with the 14 ga. There is only 8 or so dollars difference in the price per 4 x 8 sheet.

What would a reasonnable rate be per hour in a job shop to bend this stuff up? I will cut the metal to its shape, and mark it for the bends so all the shop will need to dois make the bends. No cutting or welding involved on their part.
Jacin

Re: Question on Sheetmetal gauge

Post by Jacin »

My 14" Powermatic Bandsaw has covers probably closer to 16 ga. while my DoAll has probably closer to 10 ga. The thinner one has some SHAPE to it to give it some rigidity. Are you planning on putting any beads or offsets into it?? If not I'd go heavier. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Either will distort some while welding - obviously the thinner will be easier to pound out. Too much welding might put you into the funny farm - chasing warps and all. You might consider spot welding it.

If it were me - I'd consider going thinner Spot welding it and EMBOSSING a COOL pattern in it something like the pic attached, I mean if you've gone THIS far what's a little SPECIAL TOUCH???

Otherwise I'd go HEAVIER and make it a BRICK $hit House!
I'm goofy like that though!

Your mileage may vary.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Roy, For purposes of comparison, Delta 14" bandsaws use 16 gauge sheet metal. Staying with 16 gauge will have a couple of advantages. First, the metal is cheaper. Second, many small sheet metal shops (e.g the small HVAC ones who will do the bending for you cheap) have benders that are rated for 16 gauge and thinner.

The clinker in this is that commercial covers are stamped and the slight crown and other stamped-in details add rigidity -- meaning less vibration. So, if I were you I'd think 16 gauge would be OK, but would be prepared to bolt/rivet/weld a stiffener or two or something like a Bituthane liner if you get vibration.

As far as cost, I've had the best luck with small shops where you can walk in and talk to the guy who will actually do the bending. On my latest bends (stainless steel bench tops) one shop wanted to give me a quote. About $100. Another guy did it for free at the end of the day -- took us maybe 15 minutes working together and I gave him $20 and thanks.

Naturally, 14 gauge will work but the cost will go up. Hope this helps.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Oops, looks like Jacin covered most of this while I went out to check the gauge on the Delta.