American Model Engineering

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

jessebanning

American Model Engineering

Post by jessebanning »

I just called to place an order and got a recording stating they are shutting down due to health issues. The business will be for sale and can be broken up.
www.banninglocomotiveworks.com

www.littleengines.com
Builder01

Re: American Model Engineering

Post by Builder01 »

So sorry to hear this! They are good folks and have always been great to deal with. I hope the right thing happens to their business. They have always had the best prices on HSS taps and dies.
kvom

Post by kvom »

Were you still able to order from inventory?
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

Unfortunately no :(
www.banninglocomotiveworks.com

www.littleengines.com
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I hope someone comes forward to purchase the business and supply the much needed parts for the hobby.

Does anyone else make scale bolts? Not to mention the pressure gauges, lubricators, valves.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

FLtenwheeler wrote:I hope someone comes forward to purchase the business and supply the much needed parts for the hobby.

Does anyone else make scale bolts? Not to mention the pressure gauges, lubricators, valves.

Tim
I'm sorry to see these folks go.

For miniature machine screws (hex head), I now use Micro Fasteners. Purchased quite a bit from them. Fast delivery and pleasant phone orders. Loco Parts sells a nice little brass pressure gauge 0-200# for $95. Gauge is 1-13/16 inches in diameter compared to AME's 1-1/4 inch diameter. Still a nice gauge though. They also sell valves, nipples, blowdowns, safties, etc.
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

Wow, I was getting ready to order one of their mechanical lubricators. Guess its time to look for plan B. So sorry to see them go, they were great people to work with.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

One of the few vendors on this side of the Atlantic that sells stuff small enough for the smaller scales.

Hopefully someone will take over the business.

Steve
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

Soot n' Cinders wrote:Wow, I was getting ready to order one of their mechanical lubricators. Guess its time to look for plan B. So sorry to see them go, they were great people to work with.
Again, Loco Parts sells mechanical lubricators in 1.5, 2.0 and 2.0 low profile and 3.0. $160 each and $275 for the 3.0, I'm not affiliated with Loco Parts, just a happy customer.
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
kvom

Post by kvom »

I also called and got Ron on the phone. Seems his wife had major surgery yesterday. I asked about ordering from inventory, and he said that since he's trying to sell the business, filling large orders could leave "holes" in the stock and inhibit a sale. So until someone takes it over we're needing alternate supplier(s).
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Another perfect example of why you should go on and buy the stuff you need if you see something that you want for your project. Things like this happen all too frequently in this hobby. I also had bought some stuff from them earlier this year. Got prompt service, good products, and was happy with the whole thing. I wish the owner the best of luck with their medical issues, their recovery and their future overall.

Hopefully someone will buy this business and continue to offer the same great products, prices, and services. Seems like about half of the time a supplier hits a snag like this, the business just disappears forever. I sure hope that doesn't happen this time.
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

I have a stock of AME Gauges and lubricators, Ron had told the last few customers who called him to call me

contact me at highiron@aol.com

stock is running low I only have 6 or 7 lubricators left and maybe 8 gauges

Mike
Little Engines