MSC-Enco Transition - Quality-service-price-etc.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dgoddard

MSC-Enco Transition - Quality-service-price-etc.

Post by dgoddard »

I was pretty well stocked up on things when MSC decided to reduce the Enco name to a brand of equipment etc. So I have not had occasion to put together an order just yet. I have purchased very little from MSC over the years but much from Enco. I found Enco to be very well attuned to the needs of the home machinist and MSC to be much more oriented toward industrial shops. MSC has been making a strong effort to transition Enco customers to MSC customers.

I have been wondering how well they have been doing that and how well they have been keeping their promises about how great it was going to be for us home machinists. So for those of you who have transferred your Enco buying activities to MSC, how has it been going for price quality service etc.?

I can be a suspicious sort and their big advertising push just seemed to come on too strong. If there have been problems, do you think that they are just growing pains or are they endemic to the new administrative structure.

All feed back will be appreciated.
D. Goddard
I never met anybody that I couldn't learn something from.
GlennW

Re: MSC-Enco Transition - Quality-service-price-etc.

Post by GlennW »

It's working OK for me.

I needed five gallons of cutting oil so I checked MSC and it was $128.54. I logged on using my new MSC/Enco password and it went to $83.55 and there was a free shipping promo code in effect.

There was another "Up to 40% off and Free Shipping" code recently.

I'd suggest that you just log on and check it out!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Be prepared for price shock as historically MSC has been 30% or more higher than most other vendors. ENCO was my #1 supplier for most everything. Only way I'll use MSC if they are the ONLY source !! Travers or McMaster Carr front and center.
www.chaski.com
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

John,

Enco's "On Sale" price on the cutting oil was $102.25.

MSC was $83.55 when properly logged on.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
KellyJones

Post by KellyJones »

I dunno. Had to replace my 6 inch dial calipers recently. My old ones were from Enco and cost about $36. Not the highest quality, but felt good to use and serviceable for my needs. Dropped them ( sad story) and had to replace them. The new MSC calipers, for approximately the same money, feel cheap and stiff. Maybe my expectations were too high...
Kelly Jones, PE
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
(1856-1950)
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

GlennW Don't count on it staying that way going by MSC's past pricing . MSC has been on my S^$* list ever since they bought Rutland and closed the local branch. Rutland was pretty price competitive with ENCO and I would have them do a stock transfer from their Reno whs. Got it just as fast and no shipping.
www.chaski.com
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I suggest you always check.

I was curious what chain vises were going for now-a-days....
So....for example;
BC210 Rigid chain vise. (Rigid # 40185)
On the Enco site, (Enco # 240-2967), $130.81 ea
Signed into my new MSC account, (MSC # 06354005), $169.71

Some items, MSC & Enco prices are the same.
Some items, MSC is lower than Enco.

This was comparing things I have not bought within the last year.
No rhyme or reason near as I can tell.

So.....I suggest everyone shop. Check out Wholesale Tool, Travers, the Amazonians, whatever.... besides Enco/MSC.....
That's what I am doing.

As far as service, I have experienced the same quality, between MSC & Enco. All great.
They are in the same building in Fernley after all.....
(I have received several items over the last few years, ordered from Enco, but received in MSC packaging, relabeled with the Enco info)

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

warmstrong1955 wrote:So.....I suggest everyone shop.
Bill
I neglected to add that to my post.

I have had open accounts at MSC and Travers since the 1980's', and McMaster and Enco for about ten years and I usually compare prices unless time is an issue. If it it, it's either MSC or McMaster, as Enco and Travers take two or three days to get here where the others are usually next day.
Glenn

rudd

Post by rudd »

I've noticed that the price on MSC's website is not the price I pay when I call in and order and they identify me by my phone number.. I cannot recall what my p/w was. 50 dollar bandsaw blade dropped to 27 bux for example.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

rudd wrote:I've noticed that the price on MSC's website is not the price I pay when I call in and order and they identify me by my phone number.. I cannot recall what my p/w was. 50 dollar bandsaw blade dropped to 27 bux for example.
If I sign on to my old MSC account, I get a higher price than if I sign onto my new Enco/MSC account I set up.
Probably a good idea to write down your new account number, and give it too 'em when you call.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.