Newbie Quick Change Question For 6" Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SusanX

Newbie Quick Change Question For 6" Lathe

Post by SusanX »

Hi,
This is my 1st post ever on this site :D.
I am originally a woodworker who decided to also learn metal working since I would like to build a belt grinder to sharpen my woodturning tools. However, I also am looking forward to being able to make metal stuff, in general. Since my 1 car garage already is crowded with woodworking equipment, including my 53" long vintage Delta lathe, I decided to buy a 6" Craftsman 101 lathe that is almost just like the Atlas 618. I would like to add a quick change gearbox to my new old lathe; however, I cannot find any pictures online of a 6" lathe with a qc gearbox. Does anyone here have a quick change gearbox on their little 618 lathe? I see plenty of gearboxes for 10" lathes, but no 6". I am guessing I will have to make my own gearbox. On ebay, I have seen gearbox housings for 10" lathes for sale. I would like to preserve the vintage look on my lathe. Should there be any reason why I shouldn't buy a 10" lathe empty gearbox to use on my 6" lathe?
John Evans

Re: Newbie Quick Change Question For 6" Lathe

Post by John Evans »

None of the 6" ever had a QC box,and trying to adapt one off a larger lathe is going to be a bit of a fool's errand and a exercise in futility. And starting with the empty box makes it even more so!! Nothing is impossible but you you have a better chance of winning the lottery. If your lathe has the change gears learn how to use them. Not to mention you will also need a milling machine +tooling to even think about pulling this off.
www.chaski.com
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

If you want the quick change feature, then you will be much better off to find a lathe so equipped. As John mentioned, a QC conversion is a serious project and will require milling capabilities.
SusanX

Post by SusanX »

Ok. For now, I will simply focus on just learning basic use of the lathe since I already put money into this little lathe. Should I really get into using the lathe and want a bigger ine, I'll make sure to the bigger one has a quick change gearbox already on it
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Good thinking ! LOL That little Atlas/Craftsman is MUCH better that the 7X12 etc import toys. Learn to grind HSS tooling [see Harold's posts] get tool on center line and have at it. I highly recomend either the Atlas/craftsman or the South Bend books on how to operate a lathe. A world of knowledge in either. My first lathe 40 + years ago was a Atlas 12" and it came with that book,was a great help to have it I'll tell you.
www.chaski.com
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

A guy named Lex Liberato made a QC box for a Chinese 7x lathe. Not sure why anyone would do a thing like that, but I was certainly impressed.

http://www.swarfrat.com/MiniLatheGearbox.htm
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Much to every-one's dismay I will say this.
It takes less than 5 min to change gear ratios on a non-qc lathe. I do it only for threading. Otherwise I depend on my biological computer (hat rack) to choose and apply the proper feed rate, unless it is a long involved job. Consequently I don't make professional looking parts, but they work as they are intended. Choose your result, as it were, pretty or functional, or both. Time is the coin.
( Having said the above, gun parts get the professional touch.)

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Maybe she is more interested in the project than the time savings.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

I seem to recall seeing, somewhere on the internet, a copy of an old article on building a QC gearbox for an Atlas 618. It may have been an old Popular Science article. I agree that it would be a major undertaking. I think CNC conversion would be easier.
Don Young
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hello Susan, +1 for the advice above, about staying with the standard gear set. One thing you might wish to do - simple really- is paint the existing stud and change gears for turning on your lathe a different color. This so you can readily identify them and separate from the change gear stack when replacing them with other gears when setting up your lathe for thread cutting.

I have a old 1919 7" Dalton Lathe, with Standard gears, and made the mistake of not marking my standard turning gears when I removed them and set up a thread cutting job. Had to go online and ask some old time Dalton users which turning gears belonged back on the banjo for Standard turning when I was finished! I wasn't careful enuf to mark or separate them from the stack, and latter couldn't remember which was which! Even a dab of paint on one surface is enuf...

I wouldn't worry much about not having the QCGB. It's nice to have on production machines, but Its just a minor convenience and you won't really need it once you get into machining with your Atlas.

Regards
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Welcome! Consider adding your location to your profile; it doesn't have to be really specific, but it can be helpful with some questions.

I have a 6" Atlas, as well, about to upgrade to a LeBlond. I've only cut threads a few times, but never found it too much of a hassle changing gears.

Also, there is an Atlas-craftsman group on Yahoo that is very helpful. And a potential source for parts, if needed. Just be aware, part prices can be inflated due to the popularity of the lathes.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
spro

Post by spro »

Yes. I believe the Dalton has a spring clip with a thumb end on the bushing so it is quick changing them. I think the Atlas Craftsman is a shouldered bolt and no big deal. It has a keyed bushing. There was the other lathe (AA) with 1/2" X 20 TPI spindle. These used similar gears, not quite the same. The teeth have a central pitch close to the Atlas gears.