Never enough time

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

JackF

Re: Never enough time

Post by JackF »

Sorry to hear that Dave, good luck on the eye surgery. Our prayers are with you and hope to see you back here soon. :D

Jack.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

lets wish you well dave have had both eyes done and the improvement was immense
Patio

Post by Patio »

Dave, I wish you a fast recovery, and a speedy return to reading.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
spro

Post by spro »

Dave, you are a special man. Your mind/memory is amazing and so helpful to others. The ... anyway blood test results before the surgery and stuff to be taken before which don't interfere.. Man we like you as an older brother here.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

REPORT; ROSE HAS SET UP A NEW DELL COMPUTER AND BUFFERED HER INFORMATION FOR THE RESCUE THROUGH MY AILING COMPUTER. NEW COMPUTER WAS FROM DELL OUTLET AND COST AT 300 WITH WINDOWS 10 INSTALLED. IT SEEMS TO BE NEXT GENERATION SOLID STATE, IT IS THE SIZE OF AN OLD MODEM.

JUST HAD A BUNCH OF TESTING DONE AT AN EYE CENTER. THE RESULT IS RETINAL DAMAGE IN THE LEFT EYE AND ADVANCING CATARACTS IN BOTH EYES. SURGERY HAS BEEN SCHEDULED FOR EARLY JUNE, BUT THAT DATE IS FLEXIBLE AND DEPENDENT ON TREATMENT OF LEFT EYE DAMAGE TO SETTLE DOWN SWELLING AND HEAL VESSELS ON THE LEFT. LEFT EYE WILL GET WORKED ON ABOUT 2 WEEKS AFTER THE BETTER RIGHT. THEY ARE CLAIMING THIS IS THE BEST COURSE OF ACTION, BUT REALLY I AM SCARED TO DEATH ABOUT LOSING MY EYESIGHT THROUGH COMPLICATIONS.

I WILL POST ANY SIGNIFICANT NEWS AS IT DEVELOPS. THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS . IT HELPS MY HARD PRESSED SPIRIT..
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

Dave I wouldn't reply so soon to your long awaited post. I don't want to make your situation more stressful but if I may recount a story from my Mom: Widows as her, lost her husbands around 2001- 2006. They were despondent individually yet as a group of other seniors made great things. Certain things happened like group tours upon great touring ships to far away places. During the port stays, many sampled the local food. To cut this short, a man died. He got/had an infection and had dental surgery before the antibiotics could work.
Same sorta stuff. I would rather look a fool than not mention this.
A person experiences illness while abroad and recovers...check check the blood before surgery. Okay, already did, that's all.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Big Dave, look into some software that will read the posts to you and allow you to speak your replies.

If you need help finding something, let me know; I'd be happy to help.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

JUST A NOTE;i AM WAITING ON A RETINAL SHOT TO TAKE DOWN SOME SWELLING BEFORE SURGERY AROUND THE 6TH OF JUNE. DEPENDING ON CONDITIONS.
VERY INYERESTING TO HAVE A NEEDLE POKED IN YOUR EYE. NOT SO BAD REALLY,BUT GETTING PAST THE MENTAL TERROR IS THE WORST OFIT..
THANKS FOR READING///
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

WITH MY ONGOING EYE FAILURE, jOHN, MY EXTENDED FAMILY FREIND HASSTEPPED UP AND FINISHED SOME GUTTER SEALING AND REPAIRS FROM THE ROOF JOB, AND TACKLED THE START PROBLEM ON THE CRAPSMAN TRACTOR, THAT BOILED DOWN TO A BAD STARTERRELAY. aFTER CHANGING OUT WE HAVE STARTED TO KILL OFF THEGREMLINS THAT CAUSED THE TRACTOR TO BE DUMPED. LIKE A BAD DECK PULLEY AND SUCH. BECAUSE OF THE ROUGH GRASS MOWING WE ARE DOING WITH A TOO SMALL TRACTOR, i M GOING TO CUT THE SAFTY BAR FROM THE CHUTE UNDER THE FLAPPER. THIS WILL CLEAR THAT AREA SO THE DECK CAN SPIT OUT REALLY TALL GRASS WITHOUT COSTING ME A BELT BY JA,,OMG THE BLADES. i WILL CUT THE BAR ABOUT HALF WAY ROUND THE CIRCLE OF THE CHUTE LEAVING A CURVED PORTION TO FEND OFF ANYTHING GOING TOWARD THE CHUTE, LIKE TOES OR A FOOT, AND REINFORCE THIS TRUNCATED PART WITH A PIECE OF ROUND STOCK TO PREVENT IT GETTING BENT AND TUCKED UNDER THE DECK.... AS IT IS IT GATHERS HIGH GRASS AND RECYCLES IT UNTIL THE BLADES ARE CLOGGED AND THE BELT SMOKES..oNCE i HAVE THE MAJOR GRASS UNDER CONTROL, i HAVE TWO MORE IDENTICAL DECKS TO CHANGE TO THAT WILL HANDLE SHORT GRASS WITHOUT PROBLEM AND ALL SAFTY FEATURES IN PLACE.. AS IT STANDS NOW WE ARE OWING IGNORED LAND THAT HAS AMNY SAPLINGS AND UNDERGROWTH. SO THE 19.5 OORSE UNIT IS REALLY GETTING BEAT TO GET THE JOB DONE AND BACK IN SHAPE.

LATERS GUYS.
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks Dave! Sometimes we get an idea and since nobody had done it, we don't. I have one especially good mower of a tractor with 5' deck. Your post reminds me of the times I've seen long grass/etc bound in that area. This bar is also a skid plate to prevent the chute area from bending. They can only be "bent back" so many times. Now I'm thinking of using the same attachment/ bolt holes for an above support. There will still be the skid function, just differently.
You nailed it though. We set up mowers for the highest possible and they are choking because of that one thing.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

it has rained lightly the last couple of days, and drizzling this morning. The mower chute is cut, and will be re enforced today before we tackle the next half acre of sapling laced wild grass..

I got a new hat, it is a high top like the Injun hats, or Billy jack movies. It comes from Amish country and is a hoot. I picked up another yard turtle lwn ornament, ol' lonsome george I call him. his presence about causes accidents with gapers going by. it is a hoot to watch surprised drivers pause and stare. I cant wait for the first steel dinosaur or golf club flamingo to appear. I have these things in the works on hold. I do them because it pleases me to mess with other people and smile...

Laters.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

THE LAST HURDLES HAVE BEEN ASSESSED AND EYE SURGERY WILL COMMENCE ON THE 8TH OF THIS MONTH FOLLOWED BY THE SECOND EYE ON THE 22ND. i AM OF COURSE NERVOUS ABOUT THE OUTCOME.

SOME TREES HAVE BEEN TARGETED BEHIND THE GARAGE ANNEX AND SAWED DOWN. THEY WILL BE CHAINED AND PULLED BY THE CASE TO THE DISPOSAL PILE. THIS IS TO MAKE ROOOM FOR A GOAT SHED. THE GOATS ARE TO CONTROL THE BRUSHY LAND BEHIND THE GARAGE AS THEY WILL BROWSE EVERYTHING ABOUT SHOULDER HIGH FOR THEM. THEY WILL BE SOLD IN THE FALL AND REPLACED IN SRING. WE BOUGHT A NUBIAN WHETHER BUT HE DIED BEING TOO YOUNG FROM HIS MOTHER, AND HALF STARVED WHEN WE BOUGH HIM. TWO MORE ARE PROMISED WHEN THEY ARE WEANED AT 8 WEEKS, SO A SMALL ENCLOSURE IS BEING BUILT THAT WILL EVENTUALLY OPEN ONTO AN ACRE OF WILDNESS. ONE SIDE OF THIS AREA ALREADY HAS A SIX FOOT CYCLONE FENCE ON THE NEIGHBORS PROPERTY LINE, SO PROVIDING ANOTHER FENCE LINE WILL BE ECONOMIC FOR ME, AS I HAVE COLLECTED SOME YARDS FO SALVAGE FENCE MATERIALS. THEY HAVE BEEN USED TO MAKE DOG RUN STYLE PANELS THAT FORM ENTRY GATE POINTS FOR CHICKEN COOPS, AS THE PANELS AND LIGHT WELDED WIRE FENCE ARE EASY TO MOVE FOR THE BIRDS. THE GOAT FENCE HAS TO BE MORE SUBSTANTIAL. AND FIELD FENCE WILL BE THE MAJORITY OF THE LINE ON WOODEN LANDSCAPE TIMBERS. WE WILL PROBABLY USE TWO STRANDS OF ELECTRIC WIRE TO TOP THE FENCE TO PREVENT CLIMBING AND KEEPCOONS AND OTHER CRITTERS FROM HAVING FREE ACCESS.. ITS A SHAME THAT THE GROUNDS HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO OVERGROW, BUT ATENTIONS HAD DRIFTED FOR A WHILE

A HAWK ATTACK TOOK OUT ANOTHER BREEDING ROOSTER IN THE FAR PEN, THE GIRLS THERE NOW HAVE NO MAKE AS THE HAWK DOWNED A 14LB ROO,'BIG RED'. BETWEEN DENNIS MY NEIGHBOR ACROSS THE STREET AND I THATS ABOUT 50 BIRDS LOST TO PREDATION THIS SPRING. A CALL TO THE DNR GOT NO HELP , AS THEY DONT GET INVOLVED IN MOVING PREDITORS, AND RECOMMEND NETS AND STRUCTURES FOR PROTECTION.SO MUCH FOR FREE RANGE AND PICTURESQUE FARM LIFE.HAWKS ARE FEDERALLY PROTECTED BIRDS OF PREY, AND MAY ONLY BE KILLED WITH A SPECIAL PERMIT FOR PREDATION.GOOD LUCK WITH AN APPLICATION.

THE ANNUAL FUND RAISER FOR THE RESCUE IS IN THE HISTORY BOOK, AND ABOUT A HUNDRED PEOPLE WOLFED BRATS BURGERS AND DOGS, AT THE PARK SHELTER. i POOPED OUT ABOUT HALF WAY THROUGH AND TURNED THE GRILL OVER TO ANOTHER VOLUNTEER, THAT I DRAFTED, WHO FINISHED THE JOB. THE GATHERING RAN FROM 10 TO 4 PM WITH GAMES AND RAFFLES AND SALE ITEMS, ALL FUNDS TO THE RESCUE. IT WAS TOUGH THIS YEAR BECAUSE WE ARE DOWN ONE TRUCK TO HAUL ALL THE TENT AND EQUIPMENT WITH ME NOT DRIVING. BUT WE DID IT ANYWAY AND SURVIVED WELL ENOUGH.. MOM ROSE IS WONDERING IN REAL TERMS HOW LONG WE CAN CONTINUE WITH THE SCOURGE OF AGE SETTING IN, THIS BEING HER 18TH YEAR RUNNING THE RESCUE. WE HAD 14 ADOPTIONS ON THE PLUS SIDE, SO THATS ALWAYS GOOD.

FOR ME, I AM STILL SWINGING AWAY EVEN WITH MY LIMITED EYESIGHT, AND HOPING TO RESTORE MY DRIVING ABILITY. THIS WILL OF COURSE DICTATE THE ROAD I TAKE IN THE FUTURE AND GETTING BACK TO MACHINING AND BUILDING MY TRAINS.

TTFN