should I buy this grinding attachment?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Richard_W

Re: should I buy this grinding attachment?

Post by Richard_W »

I wouldn't buy it unless it came with 2 spindles. One for O.D. grinding and one long spindle for I.D. grinding. It can be hard to find the missing spindle.

Richard W.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

liveaboard wrote: I had assumed the grinder would improve accuracy. Thanks for setting me straight.
The degree of precision is really reliant on the machine----and lathes, particularly old lathes, simply can't provide the level of precision offered by purpose built cylindrical grinders. Even a cutter grinder falls woefully short in that regard. I was once forced to use a cutter grinder for cylindrical work. Sorriest day I ever spent grinding.

Tight tolerance work with a tool post grinder is accomplished more by luck and skill, thanks to the inability to set taper, reliably feed the wheel, and to control temperature at the grind. That said, because a wheel cuts without tearing, you would experience a degree of higher performance, but you'd still be locked in with the limited precision of lathes. A tool post grinder is a poor substitute for a cylindrical grinder, but it is better than no grinder.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

420 GBP is way beyond my budget for inessentials I'm afraid; my machine shop spins on a shoestring.

Anyway, I've given up on the one advertised. As you all pointed out, it's just not the right tool.

"Always use the right tool for the job." an old machinist told me, as he used the edge of a piece of broken glass as a hammer for extracting a broken off machine screw.