Flynn Machine

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Flynn Machine

Post by whateg0 »

So, I recently bought a used Flynn #63 boring head off of Ebay. Almost perfect condition. A few very light scratches and scuffs, but you have to look for them. I was looking for something with an R8 shank, but this one has a 3/4" straight shank, and I'm making due just fine. In the end, I paid just about what I was going to end up paying for an import, new. Of course, this one didn't come with any boring bars, like the sets do, but that's okay. Anyway, I was looking for information about the tool. Not much on their website, and all I find on other sites is specs, which is fine. Not that it's really needed for a boring head, but I was wondering if there was any other documentation on it, so I emailed the sales email address on the Flynn Machine website. Twice. Nothing. I presume they are still around since the site is still up and the emails didn't bounce. I did a Google search and the street view shows a "For Rent" sign on the same building that has the Flynn Machine sign on it, but it could be for a different part of the building, and who knows when the shot was taken. I am really impressed with the quality of this boring head. It's so smooth and solid feeling. I just can't say enough about it. I'm so glad I made the decision to buy a Flynn or Criterion, but I'm kind of disappointed about the lack of response from them. Are they still around? Has anybody else ever dealt with them? I don't expect I'll ever need anything more from them, except maybe an R8 shank, but even so, I'd think I would still get a "glad you like it" sort of email back. If not for the fact that I already bought the boring head, this might have deterred me and made me think about other domestic tool companies. I expect to be ignored by the importers, but not from good ol' Made in the USA companies. What gives?

Dave
GlennW

Re: Flynn Machine

Post by GlennW »

They have a phone number...

If you have any questions please contact us:
Toll Free Phone: 800-259-5330
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
pete

Post by pete »

I wouldn't take it too personally, a lot of these company's just don't seem to be set up to handle emails like that even though they should be. I had about the same experience with Haimer in Germany about a digital 3D edge and height finder I'd bought. Zero response back.

I don't know much about the Flynn heads other than they were a bit higher in price than the Criterion I finally bought. I'd imagine there manual for it gives adjustment procedures and maybe an exploded view. But get the R-8 shank as soon as you can, you'll notice a large improvement in rigidity once you do. I bought both a Criterion R-8 and straight shank for use in my lathe chuck when horizontal boring, there's quite a difference between the two. So I then bought a MT 3 to fit the lathes headstock taper, then sold that lathe and bought larger. Now I guess I need an MT 4. I haven't checked the specifications for your head yet, but Criterion sell a set of 1/2" shank "stubby" boring bars for when most times you don't need the long boring bars, there more than worth the price, and again there's a noticeable improvement in rigidity over the longer bars . And from what I've read of others experiences, your only missing the frustration by not owning a set of those cheap off shore boring bars. :mrgreen: Again if your head accepts 1/2" shank tooling, (and you need it) Criterion also sell the proper boring bar for use in the heads cross hole. It allows a 2" boring head to bore oversize through holes to 6"-8" in diameter.

Very good quality industrial grade tooling like this has been great to use and well worth it's cost even at brand new prices in my experience.

Pete
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Thanks Glenn. Up until today, I've been hosting trainees at work, so I haven't been able to allot any time for personal stuff. I may try to give them a call today between work calls. Nobody seems to answer their phones at 2 am.

Pete, I've looked at some of the "lesser" Flynn models before, trying to understand the reason for their design vs. the imports. It looks like a lot of what they are doing is the same as the old Bridgeport boring heads, or similar. The first boring head I used was an import, and it seemed to work fine at the time, though now, it would probably be as painful as going back to dial-up. I've seen this model listed new for anywhere between $480 and $600. I'm not sure I could ever bring myself to spend that kind of money on one. Not for hobby use.

Dave
Last edited by whateg0 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Okay, I started to become less impressed for a bit there. Glenn, the 800# gets me a free 2-night Bahamas cruise! Nothing about machine tools. Double checked the number on the site and tried again. Same thing. So, I called the regular number and talked to a very nice, helpful, knowledgeable gentleman, sounded older, maybe the owner? Anyway, he was able to answer my questions and then some. So, the gib is set when the head is manufactured, so no adjustment is needed, though I suspect after years of use, it might need a rebuild. Just tighten the set screw on the side after adjusting the diameter. He said the only thing most ever need is replacement of the main screw (not sure what the technical name is) because it wears out.

Dave
Flynn

Post by Flynn »

Came across this old thread regarding Flynn Machine and had to pop in.

My name is Marie and I am the daughter of Flynn Machine Products President and CEO, Ron Scafone.

Flynn Machine is now 97 years strong and still 100% American Made. We are proud to continue the level of craftsmanship created by hand on manual machines by some of the very best craftsmen in the business. No imports to be found here!
We are in process of launching an entire line with the home machinist in mind. Offering the same Flynn quality but geared toward the needs of the home machinist.

Of course we will continue to provide our products the world over for heavy industrial use but look forward to bringing home machinists into the fold.

Our new website will be live soon but in the mean time, feel free to give us a call!

Flynn Machine
97 YEARS STRONG * AMERICAN MADE
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks for updating your corporate information Marie. And interesting to see a company with Flynns history and prestige even consider the people with home shops.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Marie, I was impressed with the support I received when I bought my Flynn boring head. I doubt I'll ever need to replace it, though I did scar the beautiful finish one day crashing it into the edge of the workpiece. I think I might have cried a little. If the home shop line is as impressive as the industrial line, it will be impressive. I do hope that the price point keeps in mind that many home machinists are looking to get by on a budget and as such, often look to imports first. While I think we all prefer high quality over low, most of us also have bills to pay.