Pulse-Jet

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

J_Tiers

Re: Ram Jet

Post by J_Tiers »

Unka Jesse:

Don't worry about them rampulse jet thingies. After all, you got that engine that runs on just air.......................
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

J, you ain't that little drunk guy who watched my engine running on only air way back in 1953 are you? Otherwise you got a long memory, cause it has been quite a while since that engine was mentioned on these boards. BTW: I still have the engine and it still runs on air only. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka(Maybe I should have sold stock in the engine company. I could be right up there with those 200MPG carbureter guys [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
J_Tiers

Post by J_Tiers »

It was an article in HSM, from the year whatever. So when I was looking for an article in the back issues, I noticed it.

I just connected the names, and the other connecting link was the 109 lathe.

Couldn't resist lightening up your day......
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Jay, It has been a long time since I wrote that article for Village Press and a whole lot longer since the actual incident happened. I designed the engine while on CQ one night at headquarters 12th Eng Battalion, Ft Jackson and whipped it up when I came home from the Army in 1953. I suppose the little drunk guy still believes that I was bought out by the big oil companies. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Thanks for reminding me about the engine. (I still have it and it still runs)

Unka(Maybe I should have patented the thing, after all, it did run on nothing but air [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

Can you post an engine picture Jesse? Maybe a little more about its details or description?

I'd like to find a copy of the article too. Sounds like a good read. Was it a review or a project article?

DC
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Doug, The article was written as entertainment about a true incident that happened to me back in 1953 or so. It concerned a six cylinder radial engine I built, just for the heck-uvit. The engine has a hollow crankshaft which acted as a steam or air distributer. I completed the engine late one night and jumped on my faithful Indian Chief motorcycle and zipped down to a local all night service station to borrow their air gun. I had the gun stuck against the inlet port of the crankcase and the engine spinning merrily away when I became aware of a well dressed, but slightly "illuminated" gentleman watching me over my shoulder. He asked what I had and I said it was an engine I had just designed and was trying it out for the first time. Next, he asked what it was running on and without thinking, I told him air (which it was doing of course). His eyes bugged out and he said, "Air, well I'll be damned, you'll be a millionaire!" Before I had a chance to explain that the station air compressor was supplying the air, his friends called him to their car and they left for Memphis. The poor little guy probably thinks that some oil company bought the idea from me to keep it off the market.

See ATTACHMENT for a view of the wonderful "Air Engine that almost made me a millionaire"

Unka( Still waiting on the check from that oil company, but I am patient. After all it has only been 50 years this spring. When the check does come in, I am buying myself a new Indian Chief bike!)Jesse
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Doug, A bit more info on the wonderful air engine. Bore is about 1/2" with stroke a bit more (after all, it has been fifty years, cut me some slack here). Cylinders are single acting with exhaust ports like on a two stroke engine. Notice no screws are used. Everything was soldered together. Pistons removable from crankcase. Material for the rods was 1/8" thick copper. The engine runs at Adams TN steam show every July if you are over that way and want to see it.

Unka(I was just getting started in this hobby and all I had was one of those little 6" Craftsman lathes with 12" centers and 1/2-20 thread spindle so don't knock the engine or the budding machinist too hard, after all, it ran and still runs) Jesse
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

I like it a lot Jesse.

Any radial is a sweet machine to me. Six cylinders is a surprising sight.

I still have my first single cylinder wobble steam engine that I built 25 years ago. 3/16" bore and 1/4" stroke. Mine was done on a Brand new Hardinge Turret lathe, back then. I know, it was a suffering too. It was either that or the Graziano saga14. I could suffer with them 2 lathes any day!

During our recent move, the garage was broken into and some things were stolen out of the tool box that this engine was setting in. Everything in there was gone except this.......nothing else in there was worth as much to me anyways.

DC
Al_Messer

Re: Pulse-Jet

Post by Al_Messer »

Charlie, to my knowledge, you never did post where you got the plans for the little jet that got this thread started. Would you please share with us?
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

It is my own design.
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Good looking job!!
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Sean Skelonis

Post by Sean Skelonis »

dampfwilli wrote:Have drawings, but in metric and german language.
Its like the old V-1 jet.

I would be interested in getting a copy of these plans if possible.

Thank you,

Sean Skelonis,
SSachine7@aol.com