Machinist's chest drawer lining

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Machinist's chest drawer lining

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, Conrad, for that link. As a result, I'd withdraw my suggestion to use a glue like Elmers, which would complicate future removal of felt. I am now in the market for a small amount of hide glue. I have to fix my Gerstner!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

I guess that I interjected about another type felt. I didn't know about the Gerstner site and the availability of the exact type. I didn't know how to remove the old felt either. So even the color is wrong, for grey will not allow the fine distinction of tooling. I understand restoring an older chest to the proper way and the lining being correct.
spro

Post by spro »

I cannot be a collector of everything. I have three Gerstner chests of different type. One sits within arms length of me now. I sorta restored it before knowing much about oak and tannic acid. The grains are pronounced and sealed and that's over. There wasn't a reason to replace the original felt. I have an older one from an estate auction and I don't touch it much, unless to borrow a tool from it or check on things. It is a time capsule from 1942. There is another, larger chest cladded in "leatherette" which speaks of another time. This one needs restoration and it needs be done right. The case woods used were structurally sound but don't match at all. The drawers faces are really nice.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

johnfreese wrote:Years ago I had some felt with an adhesive backing. Just cut to size, peel, and stick it down. I think the woodworkers supply companies sell it.

This is what I have used as well. Bought mine at Fred Meyer's.
I originally bought some for making some wooden coasters.
Good stuff!

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Harold, here is one good source of for hide glue:

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Su ... _Glue.html

Behlen's products are very good. If you have a Woodcraft store close, they should carry it.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, Ed.
I'll likely have to find something online---the county in which I live is virtually barren of sources that are useful. We do have one good hardware store, though, so I'll take a look the next time we're in town.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

H and others: Just look up your local luthier, that is what is used to stick violins together so that they can be taken apart for repair.
Failing that just i-search for 'Hide Glue', and Walmart, Woodcraft, Amazon and a dozen other sites pop up.
You will find it if you just stick to it.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Hide Glue:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... 2965,20002
(yes, they ship in the US...)
Felt:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... 3300,44669

They also have adhesive backed felt,

James
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Liquid hide glue has a shelf life, so check the date on the bottle before using it.

I discovered that when the first bottle I bought wouldn't dry when I was replacing the felt on my box.

I called Titebond and the first question asked was what the date on the bottle was and where I got it.

They either sold me a fresh bottle or directed me as to where to order it from to get fresh glue, and that batch worked as advertised.

Had I been doing wood work I would have gone with the granules, but for simply replacing the felt the liquid looked like a good way to go.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Jaxian

Post by Jaxian »

Conrad's link is dead on. I bought both the glue and the felt directly from Gerstner when redoing mine. The procedure worked better than any others I have tried for durability. It was kind of an involved process though.

Also the green or red felt you buy from Gerstner is about 3x thicker (1/16") than normal felt and MUCH stronger. No info on the Whew Glue (their name) anymore as it is animal based and once you get it warm and ready, you use it and then throw it away. But boy it works good.
dash9

Post by dash9 »

If you look around your area for organ repair, They will most likely have Hide glue, Every organ bellow is put together with hide glue. Real Hide glue is only a powder that has to be mixed with water. I use it from time to time to repair my old Wurlitzer Band organ,
Attachments
rsz_dsc_2601.jpg
rsz_picture_020.jpg
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

I used 3 M spray 77 on my first chest. Then 99 spray on the second, but switched back to 77 as 99 did not work as well.
The adhesion is great. You may want to to practice placement into a drawer beforehand.
Having a Teflon sheet under the felt during placement inside the drawer can help as you pull the teflon out to prevent sticking in the wrong location

Rich