Alco AAR class B trucks

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

OddDuck

Alco AAR class B trucks

Post by OddDuck »

Finally finished the patterns for thesee, it's been a work in progress for a while now. Back around 2012, Paul Brunet gave a friend of mine the remainder of the castings he made a while ago and sold. These were one piece castings, as you can see from the picture. He gave me written permission to copy his design, directly if I wanted to. I decided that shrinkage would become a serious issue at that point, so I made new patterns. At some point I may make a one piece pattern, but after 5 years of headscratching I decided on a multi part truck to simplify and perhaps capture a few details that couldn't be easily done on a one piece frame.
I will be assembling this truck over the next few days, and when it is done and I have some rough assembly instructions written up, I will be casting sets for sale.
Attachments
IMAG0325_1.jpg
Paul's original truck
Paul's original truck
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
Cary Stewart

Re: Alco AAR class B trucks

Post by Cary Stewart »

Winton/Bollis and then RRSC/Bollis Hi-level and Blomberg trucks were all cast aluminum in pieces then welded together to for the whole. The detail was really great with some cored side frames. A shame that all of that line is not available.
Cary
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

No welding here, these will be bolt together kits, unless the end user can weld aluminum. I don't possess a welder, and from what I understand, welding cast alloys doesn't work all that well anyways. Been busy the last few days, so no progress to show. Hopefully tomorrow I will have some shop time. Durn holidays.
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Got some time in the shop today, decided to work on the bolster first. There's a good amount of draft on the walls, so it needed to be squared up. So, first thing was to clean up one edge to allow me to establish a centerline. I then layed out the edges. These cold have been filed down using a piece of angle iron as a guide, but I decided to use my poor old Atlas mill.
Those of you who are real machinists and/or those of you with halfway decent mills with actual vises and setup gear, please don't laugh too hard. It worked, took a while and could only take light cuts, but I got it done. And after a little cleanup of the brake sills and drilling a few holes in the sides, I did a test assembly. Looking okay so far...
Attachments
IMAG0329_1.jpg
IMAG0334_1.jpg
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

More pics...
Attachments
IMAG0337_1_1.jpg
IMAG0339_1.jpg
IMAG0341_1.jpg
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Got a little more done today, concentrated on the side frames. Cleaned up the casting flash, and milled out (with a barely adequate setup...) the spring pockets. Not bad for just going by eye. I also drilled the bolt holes and put it together for a test fit. I even attached one of the "fauxlliptical" springs to see how it would sit. I'm pretty happy with how it's coming out, everything so faar seems to be matching up. I roughly cleaned up a couple of journal boxes and set it up for a photo op.
Not sure how much more I'm going to get done on it this weekend, between work and holiday-ing.
Attachments
IMAG0343_1.jpg
IMAG0344_1.jpg
IMAG0346_1.jpg
IMAG0345_1.jpg
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

These look really nice, Pete, and they're applicable to a long list of potential Diesel locomotives from ALCO and GE, and perhaps a few FM and Baldwins.

I'll be anxious to see brass liners on the journals and wheels under them.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Thanks Dick, I think a few of the detail parts like a set of the fauxllipticals will make it onto the trucks we made for your Alco. Can't find the conversation, but one of the comments that I had on them from Facebook was someone was thinking of building a U50B with them. Not practical with expensive trucks, but at the price point I'm going to be selling these at might be a bit more do-able.
The journal boxes are cored out to nominally 7/8", so solid bushings would be a good match for them. There is plenty of meat on these boxes, so they could be easily bored out for larger roller bearings.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I don't see the scale/gauge listed anywhere.
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Paul was making 1 1/2 trucks and was building a Century Series Alco road locomotive.
Last edited by ALCOSTEAM on Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Sorry, I should have specified. 1/8th scale, either 7 1/4" or 7 1/2" gauge. I made them just a bit wider than the one piece truck I based them off, to allow for more room for 7 1/2" gauge. Haven't made any more progress between the holidays and Mother Nature deciding to go into the single digits temp wise. A bit difficult to do sandcasting when your sand is a frozen lump and you are in danger of freezing your giblets off.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Forgot to mention, I figured out the dimensions for 1" scale, and depending on how well these do I may do them in 1" scale also at some point in the future.