Camshaft Steel

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

gwrdriver

Camshaft Steel

Post by gwrdriver »

I have a friend in the UK who is building a "Seal" engine, a first-time builders I think. Per the photo the Seal is a 4-cylinder in-line model engine. He has asked me for a recommendation for a steel for the camshaft which would not required heat treating. He's reluctant to case-harden the cam for fear of distortion and in skimming over the Craftsmanship Museum Seal build web page I see where several of the builders experienced bowing when case-hardening their cams. I have no IC experience so I don't have a recommendation but I would like to help him if I can. So my question is, is there a steel he can use for a camshaft which would not need case-hardening but still wear reasonably well?
Attachments
SEALART2.jpg
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Harold_V

Re: Camshaft Steel

Post by Harold_V »

Without knowing more, I think I'd select Stressproof. That may not be an option for folks in the UK, however.

GM, to my knowledge, has used ductile iron for the purpose, although I expect they've done some heat treat.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Ok, looks like there are no more responses so I've forwarded this suggestion on to my friend.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
gbritnell

Post by gbritnell »

Hi gwrdriver,
I had responded to your query on another forum so didn't reply here but for others that might be interested I generally use W-1 drill rod or as it's called other places, silver steel. I don't know how the trade designations compare from here to there. I don't harden my cams but I do harden the lifters so that there is a nice interface between the two surfaces. If a person wants a hardened cam then a cam grinder would be needed to finish it because in the hardening process some warpage will occur.
gbritnell
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Duly noted and passed along.
Thanks G
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

I am the one that made the seal cam for the museum seal. It was O2 if I recall. Poor choice. I have since learned. ....A2 tool steel. Great stuff to work with.and can be hardened to a full 50-55 rockwell then ground. Does not warp...shrink...distort.....etc.

Think I still have the program for the seal in the computer at the museum.

Pamela
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

I made a pair of cams for an orndorf v 12 out of a2. They are 9" long and did not even slightly warp.

Pamela
Packard V8

Post by Packard V8 »

Any thoughts about using cast iron, as most OEM flat tappet cams? IIRC, billets of Durabar/Versabar are readily available. Just Parkerize and they're ready to go.

jack vines