PM1236 arrived

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

WJH

PM1236 arrived

Post by WJH »

Purchased it with the preferred package which included a BXA QCTP, micrometer depth stop, coolant pump, and a few other things, I think. Also purchased the cast iron stands which really make it rock solid.

It has an oil leak on the feed gearbox which I am in contact with Precision Mathews over. The lathe looks very nice, cut some chips with it already. A huge step up from the 8” lathe I was using.

Underneath the cross slide that I removed so I could drill and tap it for the DRO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
WJH

Re: PM1236 arrived

Post by WJH »

Here’s the scale mount that I installed

I’m off to work again, cannot wait to get the rest of the DRO installed and going.

stephenc

Post by stephenc »

Sweet... a new lathe . I hope it eats up hours and hours of your time and empties your wallet , much like mine does :)
Really though , the pm lathes do look very nice and the guys that own them always seem very happy , congrats .

As to the oil leak , do a simple Google search for 12x36 metal lathe , I think you'll find this is pretty common complaint no matter who's name is on the lathe .
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

WOO HOO
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Les_S

Post by Les_S »

Congrats! I have the same machine and it has served me well. I had a few minor problems initially but those were all resolved quickly by PM. I have since converted mine to a 3ph motor and VFD and haven't looked back!
WJH

Post by WJH »

Les_S wrote:Congrats! I have the same machine and it has served me well. I had a few minor problems initially but those were all resolved quickly by PM. I have since converted mine to a 3ph motor and VFD and haven't looked back!
That’s on my to do, and adding a tach. I believe it was made in the same factory as my Lathemaster 8x14, as they come with exact same tool boxes, and little details are the same. Going to add 3phase and VFD to my 8x14 first for a CNC conversion with an ACORN controller.

kroll

Post by kroll »

Dang that is one nice looking machine,please keep posting with your DRO installation love to follow along
WJH

Post by WJH »

kroll wrote:Dang that is one nice looking machine,please keep posting with your DRO installation love to follow along
On a work trip right now. When I get back, will post progress reports

WJH

Post by WJH »

Hi guys, an update. This lathe has major oil leaking problems, and broken taps left in castings and parts. Spoke with Matt over at PM, he is making good on this purchase, it is getting returned in exchange for the 1236T model that is made in Taiwan and is of a much higher quality. This is why no updates, this lathe has been collecting dust as I figured out ways to fix it, and other projects took priority.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

That is a horror story. Glad to hear you're getting the upgrade to Taiwan iron.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Wow... Kudos to PM for making you whole, but so much for any kind of quality control.. I might have expected this from Harbor Freight, but not from PM.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
RSG

Post by RSG »

Good to hear! From speaking to the guys at PM I get that feeling they are stand up guys so good for you. Lets see the new machine when you get it!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.