the rebuild results

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

cbrew

the rebuild results

Post by cbrew »

Morning Everyone,
As many know i have been rebuilding my first locomotive.
this last weekend was the boiler test day at Kitsap Live Steamers (KLS)
with the help from NP317, I completed the paperwork required for the Washington state boiler certificate.
the boiler passed and is now certified for 150 psi (max allows for hobby boilers in Washington state).
The inspector was happy with the performance of Davids safety valves.
i am very happy with the result of the rebuild, this ole girl has never run this square.
enjoy
Chris

If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
NP317

Re: the rebuild results

Post by NP317 »

A very successful day.
It was good to see CBrew and his brother there, for their first (and successful) WA State boiler certification.
Despite the pouring rain, we got 10 of 11 boilers certified, and all got happily wet.

For those not familiar with Washington State Hobby Boiler certification, it has been an annual requirement, in front of a State Inspector. Plus $$ fees.
But as of this June, the State is no longer performing annual re-certifications, leaving that to local clubs.
Remarkably, the Washington State Inspectors requested this change in the Law (!), because they recognized the safety of the Hobby Boilers,
having never had a catastrophic pressure vessel failure! So they "deregulated" themselves from the annual requirement, and got the new law passed by the WA State Legislature.
Unusual and smart.

The clubs/organizations will need to follow similar hydrostatic and steam test protocols, and keep records for State inspection, if ever needed.
Boilers seeking their first certification still require the strength calculations (a copy given to WA State L&I Pressure Vessel Division for evaluation)
and the first hydro and steam tests are performed with a State Inspector. Fees apply, usually $50 - $75. A one time payment now instead of annual.

The calculation and paper records requirements are posted on the Kitsap Live Steamers website in the Links section, available to any interested persons.
http://kitsaplivesteamers.org/content.a ... _id=148906
The new requirements will also be posted there by KLS, as soon as they are completely defined.

Because I now live in Oregon, the question arose if I can still get a Washington certification.
Answer from the State Inspector: Yes, as a member of the Kitsap Live Steamers.
I want the Washington Certification for the 150 psi Maximum Allowed Operating Pressure, where Oregon limits MAOP to 100 psi.
My saturated boilers need the extra pressure for non-shower (dryer) operation.
And Train Mountain has stated they will accept the KLS certification the same as the WA State license.

All good news for our Hobby.
Cheers (whistles) and (dryer) Steam,
~RN
SP&S700

Post by SP&S700 »

Very Nice!

Thats a very good sounding whistle!

Clint
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

SP&S700 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:10 pm Very Nice!

Thats a very good sounding whistle!

Clint
thanks Clint, it was made by a late friend, one of three.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.