New Member introduction

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Modelnut

New Member introduction

Post by Modelnut »

Hello fellow home machinists. I am brand new to this Forum but have been at the hobby for some years. Lately I find myself with more and more interests and less and less free time. I believe that is part of being human.

Anyhow my main machinist interest is in these tiny little mechanical marvels some call model IC engines. I have heard other less informed call it something less flattering but enough said about that...

I am looking forward to sharing some natter and chat with fellow model engine nuts.

Thanks for allowing me to join this Forum.

Nico
Harold_V

Re: New Member introduction

Post by Harold_V »

Welcome, Nico.
We don't seem to have a lot of activity in regards to model IC engines, but they are certainly a part of the board, and a real challenge for those who enjoy them. I would enjoy building a model, perhaps ¼" scale, of a Buick nail head. I do not have plans to do so, however. Too much on my plate.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:02 pmI would enjoy building a model, perhaps ¼" scale, of a Buick nail head.
You'd be using small finishing nails in it for exhaust valves. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Modelnut

Post by Modelnut »

Thanks guys. I have a partially completed 1/4 - scale V-8. Don't know what its a replica of. The crank case, crank shaft and heads are there (I think the heads are just blank blocks) Two Walbro carbs and thats it. Lots of work still and I don't think I will ever get to it any time soon. I have built a few single and multi-cylinder engines, including a self designed three-cylinder of 30cc. Then there are the ones I made from purchased casting sets - Kiwi, Seal Major, Whippet and one from castings by the late Bob Shores, a twin - forgot the model. I also have some more casting sets and other stuff I may not get to. Might even get myself so far mentally to part with some..... Years are catching up on me...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:22 pm
Harold_V wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:02 pmI would enjoy building a model, perhaps ¼" scale, of a Buick nail head.
You'd be using small finishing nails in it for exhaust valves. :D
Yeah, but it would be a thrill for me, as I ran a 322 when a young lad. It was installed in a '51 Super Riviera, along with a '38 floor shift trans. I had what Buick called their "export kit" in the engine---10:1 pistons, mechanical lifters, adjustable rockers and a better grind on the cam, and had ported the engine. I also had it balanced. Ran like a scalded dog. Could keep up with the average 348 Chev. (drag racing. I've never been a fan of high speed racing), which was not bad for a heavier car with a smaller engine. Got lots of tickets with that sucker, too. Ahhh---the good old days! :lol:

I consider the Buick nail head one of the prettiest of engines. Looks like a tiny thing tucked in where a large straight eight used to live. While they were notorious for small valves, they had considerable dwell, and were one of the highest torqueing engines on the market at the time.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Welcome Modelnut, it would help if you put your general location in your personal information. In addition to people on this forum this would help to possibly find people in your local area to get together with and "talk shop". :)

One of the reasons I joined the Chaski group was my interest in making model engines. :) I have yet to make one but my interest is still there. :roll:

Jack.
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

You may also want to explore the Model Engine Maker forum...

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/

Good group of folks, similar to the company here, many accomplished model makers. All forms of engines are welcome - IC, steam, atmospheric, Stirling, etc.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
Modelnut

Post by Modelnut »

Done.