Allen Tender project

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

ChipsAhoy

Allen Tender project

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Switching engine projects to something more my skill level, so am selling my tender. It is at about 95%, When I built it I hadn't commited to fuel type nor on final paint scheme so I stopped here until my engine was nearer to completetion. It has an internal tank that can be used either for fuel or opened up for more water capacity. The "coal bin" in front between the water legs is enclosed to accomodate fuel valves and electric switches. There is a hidden conduit from the underchassis battery box to the enclosure. Included (but not k stalled) is the water hatch, two step ladders, folding foot pegs, tubing to make the beading around the top edges, ( if I can find it, a jig for slicing the tubing) and axle box covers (not shown). The water filler has a large screened area for filtering under the scupper. Main water draw is from the center . Hand pump has removable handle to allow for storage. No couplers or draw bars included.
Can be seen and picked up at Maricopa Live Steamers. Buyer pays for shipping, however I can crate it for you.
I think $1,800.00 is more than fair.
Scotty
Attachments
Front.jpg
Rear.jpg
Rtside.jpg
Highfront.jpg
Internal.jpg
ChipsAhoy

Re: Allen Tender project

Post by ChipsAhoy »

More pics....
Scotty
Attachments
Valves and pump.jpg
Parts.jpg
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

What material is it? From the pictures I can't tell if it's steel or aluminum.
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

It is aluminum, with ProSeal in and under all joints to seal it and to prevent hidden corrosion. Frame and end sills are steel, arch bars are steel and cast aluminum, wheels are cast iron. Tubing is all copper, valves are bronze.
I should have placed this info in original post... sry.
Scotty
John.can

Post by John.can »

Is the tender built for a ten wheeler? Also is the bin between the water legs of the tender removable so it can become a coal bunker?
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Yes, the tender is built for an Allen Ten Wheeler, I believe it is also used for the Mogul and other Allen models. The cover and door can be removed between the water legs BUT, not intending to use coal, I made the water legs wider to hold more water. Therefore the potential coal storage area would be awful small. I don't think you'd be happy.
Scotty