1” scale D&RGW Alco RS-3s

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Rob Gardner

1” scale D&RGW Alco RS-3s

Post by Rob Gardner »

FOR SALE are two (2) 1” scale D&RGW Alco RS-3s built by Scale Railroad Supplies, Inc., of Boulder, CO

Both units are painted in the distinctive and striking early D&RGW black w/ yellow stripe scheme. These are low mileage locomotives in fully operating condition with new batteries on board and ready to start pulling your trains today. Locomotives are built on heavy 3/8” plate steel frame with center sill and fabricated steel pilots, steps and sprung draft gear. Trucks are all steel construction as well.

Some of the features of these RS-3s include:
• Four (4) 24VDC traction motors each w/ 60 in-oz of torque at 2,000 RPM
• Two (2) 22NF, 45 Amp-hour batteries (lawn and garden type)
• Solid state, pulse width speed control through individual tethered controllers
• Onboard solid state sound system including bell, two different horn sounds and throttle synchronized diesel engine sound.
• Dimensions: 56” long overall, 10-3/16” wide over the cab eaves and 14-7/16” tall, top of rail to top of cab roof
• Weight – 225 lb each including batteries
• Built to IBLS 4-3/4” gauge wheel standards
• Lights – Headlamps on both ends, directionally controlled, 12.6V PR-16 bulbs
• Gear ration – 33:10
• Top speed – 7.5 MPH @ 2,500 RPM

I would prefer to sell these as a matched pair. You would get both locomotives, each with their own operating manuals, three (3) tethered controllers, one (1) MU cable and two (2) trickle chargers. Will deliver free of charge within 3 hours of Westfield, MA. Crating and shipping can be arranged at a separate price if desired. Units can be inspected generally M-F, 8am – 5pm or by appointment if necessary.

Asking $9,500.00 for the pair or $5,000.00 each

Thank you for looking,

Rob Gardner
Attachments
DSC01268.jpg
DSC01269.jpg
DSC01270.jpg
DSC01272.jpg
DSC01273.jpg
Rob Gardner

Re: 1” scale D&RGW Alco RS-3s

Post by Rob Gardner »

Giving this ad a little bump. Both are still for sale. Let me know if you have an interest. These are two great RS-3's...no longer available and fully functional.

Rob Gardner
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Rob,
Is it possible that these engines were in California in '90? I recall seeing them, or a pair just like them. I think at the Golden Gate Live Steamers, but I'm not sure. About the same time as the IBLS meet in LA.

I was totally impressed with the reality they projected. One had to look to ensure a prototype engine wasn't coming.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Harold, from what I know, I don't think they ever left Colorado until I bought them this past September. But I may be wrong.

Rob
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Bumping this thread up again. I got the RS-3's out this weekend at the PVLS annual Father's Day meet and ran them for about 3 hours Saturday night and probably 3 hours again on Sunday with no issues.

These are some great engines and are very easy to operate. They will scoot right along at top speed and accelerated from a dead stop up the 1.5% grade on the elevated track with two of us on the train with a total of six cars and a caboose in tow.

I can forward videos of them operating if someone is interested.

Rob Gardner
David Sherry

Post by David Sherry »

Rob,
This’s is Dave Sherry, I would be interested in speaking to you.
I can email you my phone number if you still have the engines. My email,dsherry50@msn.com
Thanks for your time.
jeffsmith

Post by jeffsmith »

Have these been sold yet. These were Larry Kombrinks from Georgetown, CO. way.
Jeff
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Yes they are. Interested?

Rob
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

UPDATE

One unit has sold. One remains.

Thanks,

Rob
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Bumping this back up again to the top. One RS-3 is still available. Shipping would now be from Cleveland, OH. Will crate for an agreed price or can be picked up. Would offer free delivery within 4 hours of Cleveland.

Rob Gardner