LALS Film 1967

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

dnevil

LALS Film 1967

Post by dnevil »

I came across some wonderful film footage shot at Los Angeles Live Steamers in 1967.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rzk5o78jnhsm ... w.mp4?dl=0

This is a temporary link good for only about another week, so you will want to download the MP4 file directly to your computer.

Here is the information on the film:

http://www.wolfsonarchives.info/view/?i ... 36&fileid=

The middle of the film features what appears to be a parade or rally for the American Humane Society. But there is more LALS footage after the parade!

Enjoy,
Daris
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
Harlock

Re: LALS Film 1967

Post by Harlock »

That's some good stuff. Do you mind if I post it to the Live Steam History of Southern California Facebook group?

Looks like GGLS is visiting by all the jackets and badges...
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Daris;

This post further confirms your excellent "care taker" passion and talent in taking on the role of
the North American International Brotherhood of Live Steamers Secretary.

Awesome find.

Thank You for posting this.

John
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

Daris
I totally agree with John. We need a book of standards and as our hobby changes and evolves, we need some where to keep this info. IBLS is need today as it was in the past. I personal per-mote this. I hope other supplier would do so and the clubs to follow suit too. So how do we do this? Where to get this started again. Sure we are going to have people not wanting it or being evolve but its a need go to spot.
I have the old Red book from RRSC and its info is very useful. But most was taken for the IBLS Standards. The IBLS web site is ok, but it could be so much friendly and easier to navigate.
The Key to this is not to have someone run it with speaking out all the time, but to keep the information flowing. Its Lost information on how to do things. Measurement, formula's, Tables. A go to spot for the beginner and us forgetful minded old timers. I have help out trouble customers with odd problems, with out this info I couldn't come up with there problem to fix and get there engine working correctly.
Example. Customer engine was fire with coal, wood, oil fired, then Propane. None of these was working to keep steam up. change stack, exhaust nozzle large and small die, Remove cylinders and resurface the valve surface do to pitting. None of these things work. Taken the area of tubes and measurements. This boiler was tube with 3 large 7/8" for supper heater. But was not use. Note this was a used old running engine, Past down though other hands and left as a barn fine. So the problem was it was over tube. To much volume of heat was leaving the fire box before it could do any good. Just plain let the good heat out. Plug the three supper heated tubes and fires now great. Makes pressure and holds it. I had to use the Red Box to find the tables of Grate area or fire box opening size, Then to measure tubes and diameter of volume. I just plain had to much tube volume, so the heat was passing thought the tubes to fast. or just to much volume was. Wasting the potential of any fuel that was burn in it.
Note there is two types of fuel,(1) Radiant ( Coal and Wood ) (2) Gas type, Propane, oil. The first does not need a arch, but the second needs one due to you want the fuel to burn as possible and complete. Making a arch is trapping the burning fuel to last longer in the fire box to heat side sheets and crown and also not to carry the gasses to be burn in the smoke box. 80% in the fire box, 20 % in the fire tubes. 0 % in the smoke box. So hard to archive.
So to have place to go helps this hobby. Letting it go and be hard to fine is not what we need. Move this hobby forward, Us all the tools we can to do so. IBLS is for Steam, and for the others.
Steve
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

Hi All,

Sorry for the late response, I just got back in town.

Yes, feel free to repost and copy the video. Lou Kramer at Wolfson Archives/Miami Dade College said it is ok. The timer on the bottom indicates it s a preview. The footage, without timer, is available for purchase from Wolfson Archives.

Steve you have caught the vision of what we are trying to do with the IBLS website. Agreed it is not the most user friendly. I'm open to suggestions, or even more important, welcome new material that you want to preserve. Many people have contributed material.

There are two keys to finding material on the IBLS website (there are over 700 articles!)

1. Enter a term in the search box like "Baker valve gear."
2. Scroll to the bottom of the main page to see the categories, and click on a category of interest, such as "Steam Locomotive Parts."

Happy steaming!

Daris
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

Fantastic footage. My kingdom to know where these locomotives are today.
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

I'd like to know which were coal fired as opposed to oil or propane fired. Somewhat like colleague cp4449, I'd like to know the condition of the boilers today, and if the locos are static displays, under a pile of hay in a barn, or still operated.
Aren't old movies something?
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
kc6uvm

Post by kc6uvm »

These older movies are timeless. To see LALS before track expansions, all the trees and shrubbery went in.
It's just a wild guess, but suspect the UP Northern was from Chet Peterson at RR supply and the GS4 Daylight was Dick Priest's (Little Engines?).
Haven't heard from IBLS in a long time... Have the old patch on my vest. Looks like I'll need to get the updated, new patch now....
George J. Becker
Lancaster, CA (formerly of Shandon, CA)
Model railroading is fun but the work expands proportionately to the track gauge.
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

kc6uvm wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:32 pm These older movies are timeless. To see LALS before track expansions, all the trees and shrubbery went in.
It's just a wild guess, but suspect the UP Northern was from Chet Peterson at RR supply and the GS4 Daylight was Dick Priest's (Little Engines?).
Haven't heard from IBLS in a long time... Have the old patch on my vest. Looks like I'll need to get the updated, new patch now....
PRR5406 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:06 am I'd like to know which were coal fired as opposed to oil or propane fired. Somewhat like colleague cp4449, I'd like to know the condition of the boilers today, and if the locos are static displays, under a pile of hay in a barn, or still operated.
Aren't old movies something?
Some of the engines in the movie.... Yes, the UP 4-8-4 is Chet's and the Daylight is Dick Priest's. Both are Little Engines Northerns and were oil fired. Also shown is Frank Mann's 1.5" 2-8-2.... as I recall , oil fired. The 3/4" SP 4-8-2 shown on the steaming bay turntable is Jack Fesco's. The 3/4" Invicta is Oscar Hueter's (SP?).

Back in those days, firing was a mix of oil and coal on the 7.5 gauge locos. With the exception of a very rare oil pot burner, all of the smaller scales (or a 1.5" LE 4-4-0) were coal fired. As I remember, the first one at LALS to fire with propane was David Moore, who fired his Little Engines 4-4-0 with it. The only ones that I can think of who fired with propane at all, at least until the late 1980s, were David, Hutch Cooper, and Charlie Dockstader.

This movie was shot during the late 1960s/early 1970s period. The Disney Loop (footage at the beginning on the brown trestle) went into operation in 1966.... and the Alkire Shed and the parallel 1.5" steaming bays at the west end have yet to be built. With those two bits of information, plus the size of the trees on the east end and the fact Frank Mann is running his 2-8-2 and not his 2-10-4, I'm going go out on a limb and say the movie was shot in or around 1969.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it