Crowned pulleys

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Re: Crowned pulleys

Post by Mr Ron »

Thanks; great comments on crowned pulleys. I have a Porter Cable 4x21 belt sander and no matter how many times I readjust the tracking, the belt wants to wander. The adjustment on this tool alters the angle of the driven roller for tracking. I'm not sure if the roller is crowned.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Mr Ron wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:10 am Thanks; great comments on crowned pulleys. I have a Porter Cable 4x21 belt sander and no matter how many times I readjust the tracking, the belt wants to wander. The adjustment on this tool alters the angle of the driven roller for tracking. I'm not sure if the roller is crowned.
I was given a 6x36 Shopmaster belt sander because the owner could not get it to track despite the tracking adjustment. Putting a 2 degree crown on the driven roller cured it. Sometimes a strip of duct tape around the middle of the roller suffices.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

John Hasler wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:41 pm
I was given a 6x36 Shopmaster belt sander because the owner could not get it to track despite the tracking adjustment. Putting a 2 degree crown on the driven roller cured it. Sometimes a strip of duct tape around the middle of the roller suffices.
Thanks! great idea.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi