Best Type of Axe for Busting Rotten Stump?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

John Hasler

Re: Best Type of Axe for Busting Rotten Stump?

Post by John Hasler »

Great minds google alike.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Sorry, Steve. Wranglerstar was an attempt at humor.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

A sawsall is a good tool to cut roots
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I was just out trimming Mesquite and Palo Verde at 100+ and humid, including removing some limbs bigger than my forearm broken (but not completely off of course) in our worse than normal monsoon winds. I've come to a decision. I'm going to sell this place and find/buy a modest sized isolated commercial property (outside city zoning) covered completely in a concrete slab, surrounded by a chain link fence, with a large open span steel building, maybe 3 phase power, and nothing else. No wood to paint, no shingles, plants, trees, weeds, gophers, pool, flower garden, grape vines, irrigation; none of it. Just concrete and an open span steel building. I'll put a modest "apartment" in one corner, and my shop and trucks will take up the rest. Anyone remember that campy 80s detective show set in Las Vegas where the main guy drove a 55(?) T-bird right into his living room? That's going to be it, but with desert trucks and fab/machine tools all around... Problem solved.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I see nothing whatsoever wrong with that plan, but then I'm the guy who moved a year ago and still hasn't put one picture on the wall. I would be completely happy with a big clean shop with a bedroom, kitchen, and TV room.

I can't believe it's 2018 and mankind still hasn't come up with a house you can clean with a hose.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

You're not using the hose correctly
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Which hose is best? The answer will surprise you! A new video from Wranglerstar.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

John: Thanks for the Ax Primer.

I have owned about a dozen chain saws, but seem to keep my axes around as the thieves dont like to work them. While true it takes some mastery to learn to use and sharpen an ax, I find it a uselful tool in the short run. Even my felling and cross cut saws were pilferedd as antiques, but the lowly ax was not. I have several antique heads of eastern and midwest pattern, some from my grandfather who had all old tools.I bought a new ax from Mantards just a coupla yers ago, for the express purpose of root cutting. It has a plastic handle and is not balanced like the originals. When you use one enough,, you can tell the difference.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Today was a big day for me, because I managed to get the brush forks off my loader bucket for the first time. I took a couple of runs at the big rock in my front yard. I busted a big chunk off of it, but the rock stayed where it was. I'm looking forward to receiving my subsoiler so I can come in underneath the rock.

I'm learning what the loader can and can't do. It appears that it will do an acceptable job of pretending to be a box blade. It's not that great for digging, but it's way better than a shovel. It doesn't carry dirt all that well. In order to hold a lot of dirt, you have to put the bucket way up in the air, and I'm not willing to drive it around like that.

I just learned that I have to take the entire front loader off the tractor to do maintenance. That will be fun. The fuel shut off quit working, so I will probably have to install a new solenoid, and that means removing the loader. If I have to do that, I'm replacing the fuel filter(s) too. I might go nuts and change the oil.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

You "took runs at it"? Sound like a way to wreck your bucket.

I agree with not driving around with the bucket way up: that's a good way to tip over. I'm surprised that your bucket won't tip back far enough to carry a full load in a normal position, though.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I put the bucket against the rock and depressed the accelerator while rotating the bucket upward. I didn't back up across the yard and hit the rock at 20 mph.
rudd

Post by rudd »

Steve,
Always remember, there is always another way. Try to think out of the box! :)

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/library/ ... d_1910.pdf