Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

curtis cutter

Re: Patio's projects

Post by curtis cutter »

I need to come by and check this out! Nice.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Nice job on the end cutters Pat. Your Cutter Master looks similar to mine, did you buy it new? Did you cut those end mills in the position shown in the first pic or did you turn the spindle 90d?

Jack
Patio

Post by Patio »

Gregg you are always welcomed here. PM me if you don't have my number.

Thanks Jack.
I did not buy it new. And this is one machine, that I did not get a great deal on, but it is in good condition. Ones like mine are not made any more and don't come around on the used market much. And I know very little about the linage of this series of machines. I did buy it so I can always have a sharp tool, at a moments notice when retired. The learning curve can be hard on endmills . I can not say that one would save any money over a persons period of retirement, vs. buying what one needs, when one needed it.

I did use the grinder in the position it is in the picture.

The clearance angles are created by the distance the wheel is above or below center. I found that information in this book. A wonderful reference!
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=6637
Read pages 32 through 36.

I bought a box of endmills, from one of the members, here on the board, so I have some to practice on, when I get around to making some time for it.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Thanks Pat for the link to the Norton book, this will help me when I try to sharpen some more end mills. :) I have sharpened some already with good results but the Norton book goes into much more detail than the Cutter Master book.

Jack.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I had good fortune in finding a copy of that book on ebay, although it was a long time ago. You might consider that resource if you'd like a printed copy. Seems like I paid very little for mine (<$10), but I no longer recall the price.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hello everyone, I hope you are having a memorable holiday season. Things are going well around here, they are just busy.
The holidays, for me, means some shop time. :)

I have been spending some time on the new design of the lathe control mechanism.

I made a test lever, awhile back, to see what kind of fit I could get it to be, on the end of the square rod, that runs the length of the apron and has the speed control hand lever. I will most likely make a new one for the final project, but is works for what I need now.
20181223_230547.jpg
I mounted it in the lathe, with the speed indicator pointer and scale, installed. I then took 5 pictures of the angles of the lathe control lever, when set at, 1) Maximum movement in the 0 rpm direction, 2) Maximum movement in the 3500 rpm direction, 3)Exact location when the pointer is on the minimum rpm setting on the scale, (I think it is about 40 rpm), 4) with the pointer at 3500 rpm on the scale, and the 5th picture has a 12" scale in it, for use of calibrating the image when it is imported into Fusion360.
Here are the Maximum and Minimum pictures for illustration.
20181216_181430aa.jpg
20181216_181357a.jpg
I imported the pictures into Fusion360 and drew some construction lines down the center lines of the levers, to reveal all the angles I would need.
The mounting plate (Blue), for the mechanism, will be mounted to the lathe at the yellow line and the lever location is in the pink circle.
These are the construction lines that I derived from the pictures. The lathe lever is in this picture also.
Crosshead controls v16Const.jpg
This is where I am at with it now.
Crosshead controls v16.jpg
I am not near done with it, or is this the final configuration. This will get me the angles of the dangles and an idea of the movement. When done, I will create drawings to take the shop, for the manufacture of the parts.
More to come, and it will all make more sense once the rest of the drawing, with the potentiometer, is done.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

If I am to fully grasp how this functions I guess a drive to Centralia is in order before work begins for the 2019 season Pat.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Forget about the design I have just shown you guys. I have been refining the design and reducing the number of parts. I am still working out some of the movement parameters, but am getting close. Depending on how this ends up, I may have my brother print some of the parts.
More to come, as I figure it out. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

This is where things are today, with my journey of exploration and learning. I have explored many ways of controlling the lathe, using the native controls, and am learning to draw and create assemblies in Fusion 360.

This is the latest drawings that will turn a potentiometer to control the VFD driven motor, in the lathe. I still need to draw the second lever, that sits right next to this one, to control (FWD, OFF, REV).

This is an overview.
Pin Slot assembly v2.jpg
The next two show the mechanism at it's maximum ranges.
Pin Slot assembly v2a.jpg
Pin Slot assembly v2b.jpg
It may be hard to understand how this operates the lathe, but things will be clear in the end. I will likely make a short video, once it is installed.
That's where it's at!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Spent some more time in Fusion and have a final drawing for the speed control part of the mechanism done. I still need to do the final drawing of the control mechanism.
I am not an engineer, machinist, or CAD person, but this is what I got, so far. Comments are always welcome.
This is a 7 minute YT video that will make things much clearer for you guys to understand the operation of the mechanism.
https://youtu.be/YJvoqtEWJ3s
When I get the control mechanism drawn, I will post a video of it too.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Very nice work Pat. Looks like you have a firm grasp of this CAD stuff. Through the company I worked for I took CAD1 and CAD2 classes. Those 2 classes I took were just 2 dimensional, I never took the 3 D class. As difficult as the 2 D classes were for me I wish I had stayed with it. :( All this was 20+ years ago. :shock: :wink: What you are doing looks really great. Are you learning this on your own?

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hi Jack, I hope things are going well in Idaho.
Yes I am learning it on my own. Youtube tutorials help, when I am learning a new feature or get stuck. I have spend a large number of hours, on this mechanism alone.

Most of what I am learning, is to use "constraints", more than "dimensions", to make the "sketches", to form "bodies" that can be made into "components, in the "model". Then I am learning to use "joints" to locate "components" in the "model", to make an "assembly", which allows me to test the linkage movements, for interference of other features in the assembly. So I am able to make "drawings" with dimensions, to take to the shop so I can make the parts.
It is kind of fun when it all gets put together and I can see how things move. :)

I have I have a rough drawing of the control mechanism now, also. I will make a video when it a little more refined. It will not fit in the spot I was hoping it would, so things have been rearranged a bit.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!