Trailer w. trains stolen in Texas Saturday

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Trailer w. trains stolen in Texas Saturday

Post by Greg_Lewis »

According to a Facebook post by John T. Bailey, a trailer with locomotive and cars was stolen Saturday in Texas. The Facebook post includes photos of the trailer, the locomotive and cars, and the license plate of the trailer. Bailey may be a member of the Southwestern Live Steamers. All I know is what I see on the Facebook post.

https://www.facebook.com/ATSFSteam?sk=w ... GQ&fref=nf
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
tom stamey

Re: Trailer w. trains stolen in Texas Saturday

Post by tom stamey »

Yes, John T Bailey is a member of SWLS
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Hi,

that is so sad, we had the same situation couple of month ago. Someone stolen a locomotive out of the basement of a friend of mine. The hole scene was involved, we put pictures on facebook and other boards, so they had no chance to sell the stolen stuff, a few weeks later all the stuff stands in front of the house of the owner, no damaged parts everything was fine. I wish you luck , mayby there will be the same luck my friend had.

Chris
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

they just want the trailer and will probably dump the contents somewhere.
Fred V
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Same thing happened to Ron down in Alabama about 18 months ago. He had a bearing failure on the side of the interstate outside of Birmingham. Had to drop the trailer and go to the parts store to pick up a new hub. Got back about 20 minutes later and the trailer was gone. Had a lot of advertisement going out about the contents, even on the news. Whoever stole it then dumped all the trains at a waste station near the airport. They were damaged, but at least he got them back. They also just wanted the trailer. Police told them that since it was one of those 'toy hauler' type trailers, the people who stole it were probably using it as a portable meth lab. Said that if/when they did find it, it would probably be unusable for most purposes. I Don't think it was ever recovered. You ever wonder why you see so many trailers advertised on Craigslist and it says they don't have a title? It's because most of them are stolen.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

I recommend this for everybody with a trailer: https://gpsandtrack.com/trailer-track-gps/

It will at least give you a chance of getting your trailer and equipment back. I put one on my new trailer in April. It will give you a daily email of where the trailer is located. I mounted the unit on the top of the trailer and it is unnoticeable from the ground, so hopefully the thieves won't notice it. After all, its not the trailer that will be a big loss, it's the equipment inside that will be the big loss.

Jim B
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

i have locks that go into the ball socket and a latch lock. It won't stop a determined thief but is better than nothing.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Jim,

so you have to buy a whole new unit after 5 years for battery?
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Fred_V wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:28 pm i have locks that go into the ball socket and a latch lock. It won't stop a determined thief but is better than nothing.
Ya, I have locks everywhere too, but that won't stop them. At least with the tracker, we stand a better chance of finding them. I started looking after Ron from Alabama trailer was stolen. Since my wife and I are hams, I was going to use a "Tiny Tracker" but this sounded like a better option.
Berkman wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:35 pm Jim,

You are buying 3 years of monitoring and I think then you have to pay for the monitoring, I'll find out in 3 years. The way electronics is, they will probably have something better in 5 years. But even if I have to buy another one, I will. The unit is sealed, so replacing the battery may be a pita.
By the way, I have no ties to this company other than being a customer.

Also, if the trailer was stolen with my wife's Shay in it, and it was never recovered, the rest of my life would be hell. Especially if she found out that there was a way of possibly preventing the theft. However, when I told her about the device, she paid for it. :D

Jim B
shayloco

Post by shayloco »

Berkman wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:35 pm Jim,

According to the link the lithium battery is field replaceable.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Yup, your right. That makes sense, because if your trailer is stolen, you call them and they put the unit into continuous mode. Then it reports its location every 1 minute instead of once a day. The battery only lasts a few weeks at that point. If the trailer is found before the battery runs out,
then it would need a charge.

Jim B
southwestern737

Post by southwestern737 »

JT’s trailer and equipment have been found safe. Don’t know any details just got the email. He did have LoJack or similar on his trailer.