Good practice question

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

neanderman

Good practice question

Post by neanderman »

So, at what point do you use a steady rest to support the 'unsupported' end? IOW, how much extension from the chuck is too much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG2vd8XuFzs
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Steggy

Re: Good practice question

Post by Steggy »

neanderman wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:56 am So, at what point do you use a steady rest to support the 'unsupported' end? IOW, how much extension from the chuck is too much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG2vd8XuFzs
Way, way, way, way back when, when I was first learning my way around a lathe's ways, the rule of thumb was to use support (steady rest or tailstock center) if more than six diameters of stock were protruding from the chuck or collet and the operation would involve material removal at or near the unsupported end. Of course, the type of material is important, but I recall six diameters for steel or extruded aluminum was good. Beyond that, deflection and chattering would become issues.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I always thought ROT was > 3 diameters.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
pete

Post by pete »

Textbook recommendations in the books I have all say a maximum of 3 times the diameter for part length outside the jaws. In practice I've found that to be generally correct. But there's a dividing point where common sense kicks in. For a real large shaft on a big lathe I wouldn't expect any chuck to be capable of properly holding a 2 ft. diameter shaft unsupported that's 6 ft. long. Permanently damaging a chuck can be done both by over tightening them and with too much unsupported weight. How much diameter you have available for the spindle through hole and how much shaft length you have behind the chuck jaws as a counter balance also helps a bit. Then there's what your attempting to do. Center drilling that shaft for a tailstock center is obviously a whole lot different than taking a cut down it's length. Actual tool sharpness, cutting depth and feed rate are also a factors. A honed razor sharp HSS tool is going to exert much less tool pressure than say a generic three sided carbide replaceable tip would. If your lathe does turn parallel and that unsupported shaft shows a slight taper after the first cut then it's going to need more support. That's the method I judge it by. Boring bars will have a maximum they can be expected to bore a hole depth to without some deflection. 3 - 5 times the bar diameter at the absolute maximum for steel and upwards of 8 times the diameter for a solid carbide bar are the numbers I've seen mentioned. So an unsupported shaft is just the same and 5 times it's diameter might be barely possible if you can get away with it. Keith's video you linked to showed a good surface finish while doing that facing cut, so for what he was doing it looked to be rigid enough. My eyeball estimate is he had about 3.5- maybe 4 times the diameter outside the jaws. He certainly knows a whole lot more than I ever will.
Glenn Brooks

Re: Good practice questio

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Iam wondering if 6x diameter might be a proper rule of thumb for adding a steady rest to tailstock supported work. With 3x or less, being the cutoff point for unsupported work. I took a night intro lathe class a few years ago at our local tech college, where the instructor advised us to use the trailstock support on anything over 1.5 x work diameter. Although we were turning 3” diameter material down to 1” - so maybe that related to diameter size and material strength for the particular project.

Like Pete said, on my small 7” Dalton, (OXA QCTP and 1/4” bits) diameter size makes a big difference how far out I can machine along the axis without support. Can’t machine 3/4” round stock at 2” from chuck without the tailstock support, for example. With 1/2” to 3/4” diameter bronze round stock it, for small parts, I generally add the tailstock soon as I have enuf room to work the bit between the chuck and live center, often an inch or so.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Conrad_R_Hoffman

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman »

I do a lot of unsupported work because I have to. About 6:1 is the limit, and the tool grind matters a lot. You want a sharp small radius tool that doesn't cause much deflection, with just the right amount of rake so the work doesn't chatter. And either take off more or less than you want to take, because what you want to take off is always in the no-man's land of chatter!
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:36 pm Like Pete said, on my small 7” Dalton, (OXA QCTP and 1/4” bits) diameter size makes a big difference how far out I can machine along the axis without support. Can’t machine 3/4” round stock at 2” from chuck without the tailstock support, for example. With 1/2” to 3/4” diameter bronze round stock it, for small parts, I generally add the tailstock soon as I have enuf room to work the bit between the chuck and live center, often an inch or so.

Glenn
Use a half dead center for this.It has part of the center cut away to give you access to the very end of the part.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00100644
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

John Hasler wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:04 pmUse a half dead center for this.It has part of the center cut away to give you access to the very end of the part.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00100644
Dang... 'Em's expensive! But nice tip. (No pun intended. Seriously. :D )

Thanks!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

The half centers are a lot more expensive that a regular dead center. I just ground off a regular HSS one. For the few time I use it it work great.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I like these tracer point/extended point live centers.

https://www.travers.com/revolving-tails ... 3-301-787/

Of course the old standard live center is really nice to, but often times to large to get the tool close on smaller diameters.

https://www.travers.com/revolving-tails ... 3-301-783/

Then the CNC point comes in real handy as well for smaller diameters. But not worth much for larger parts. So its nice to have the 3 styles around.

https://www.travers.com/nc-quad-bearing ... 9-203-013/
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Sure, $1200 to adorn the tail stock of a $1200 lathe that has been "turning" out good parts with its original center.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

These partial centers are what I have been using for years. I think the ground half center is from 1980 or so.
partial centers
partial centers
A bit of high pressure center lube and you are good to go. The drill center was a broken drill so it was free.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.