New-to-Me Logan 400

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: New-to-Me Logan 400

Post by Harold_V »

The 120 positions offers a lot of flexibility, with precision. It would be more difficult to create, however, and with multiple heads, the advantages may not be worth the effort, as you would be able to simply mount more tools instead of making one serve more than one purpose.

You likely noticed that the OK head also includes the typical spring loaded detent for 15° indexing. If you keep the teeth clean (the teeth that allow for 3° indexing), they are surprisingly accurate when indexed.

I purchased mine, new, way back in '67. Having used one that was mounted on a small Sheldon (strange that your link makes mention of a Sheldon), I realized it would be my first choice.

I noticed, by following the provided link, that they weren't all marked the same way. Mine includes the full title, as you can see here:
Toolpost3.JPG
I don't envy you your weather. We are enjoying temps in the high 40's during the day, and staying above freezing at night. Much more to my liking.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Patio

Post by Patio »

I have several tool posts. I use a BXA quick change, wedge type, most of the time. Most of my tool holders are this size. I have a 14" lathe.
I have a OK Rubber Welders, like Harold's, that needs a little love, that I have not had a chance to use yet. But I think it would be very handy for production work.

I also have a CXA sized Dorian Quadra, quick change style that will hold 4 tool holders at once, and has the ability to index every 15*. Dorian also claims "Reputability within .0005"." That would get you most every thing you are looking for.
I picked it up cheap because it had a missing part. I have not used it yet, I have one tool holder for it and the tool holders are expensive. I have thought about buying normal CXA sized tool holders and modifying them so I can get 4 on it at once.

Here is a link to the Dorian tool post. Sit down before you look. :shock:
https://www.ajaxtoolsupply.com/quincltopoho1.html
Last edited by Patio on Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
spro

Post by spro »

Yes I was sitting. So yours is a "Quadra" too. Very neat.