Inexpensive 7.5" trucks?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

DianneB

Inexpensive 7.5" trucks?

Post by DianneB »

I'd like to build a couple of boxcars for my 1-1/2" scale American and I'd like to stay with the Civil War era. Being retired and on a meagre pension, $$ is always a consideration so the more I can make from "stock material", the better.

I am thinking arch bar trucks with flat iron for side frame and maybe for the bolsters, round stock for axles but I'd like to avoid castings as much as possible to keep the cost down. I have machined wheels from steel before but that took a long time and was hard work for my old lathe so maybe cast iron wheels would be worth the money. I imagine journal boxes could be done from square steel but don't know.

Done anyone have drawings or even seen designs for arch bar trucks build for "stock material"?

(If I had the money, I'd just buy Tom Bee trucks and couplers but that would be a whole month's pension! :( )
jcbrock

Re: Inexpensive 7.5" trucks?

Post by jcbrock »

Hi Dianne,

Check out Nelson Riedel's trucks, they are kinda buried on his web site:

http://www.nelsonslocomotive.com/Small% ... Trucks.htm
John Brock
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I know there are several build threads on here with arch bar trucks using bent flat bars.
I work for a company with a powerful laser plate table and we are offering steel wheel blanks in the for sale section, we cut them close leaving around .030" only to clean up...plus cutting the wheel profile of course. I'm not sure if shipping would be worthwhile to Canada though.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Dianne - You kicked off a thread in 2014 where a Bob Maynard article on utility trucks was mentioned. The thread mentions and my recollection is that there was an arch bar version. It didn't give the date and I don't have it, but someone may be able to supply you with a copy.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... ks#p303934
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Live Steam, November, 1970. "Arch Bar and Utility Trucks" by Robert W. Maynard. Also take a look at "Filer and Stowell Logging Locomotive", part 9, by Jesse Livingston, May/June 1999, p. 38.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
rwheller

Post by rwheller »

Plum Cove sells arch bar trucks in kit or RTR. Quick and simple. http://www.plumcovestudios.com/trucks_01.html
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Dianne:

If you want low cost trucks (assuming you do not care what they look like)....you can build from flat bar on pivots and loose ball bearings.

If you need cast iron truck wheels for 1-1/2", i have a dozen or so laying around that i will never use.

I have no idea what they will $$ to ship to Manitoba, but they are yours for the cost of freight.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

I have been kicking around the idea of doing wood beam trucks with Adirondack Foundry and doing "period correct" trucks REALLY appeals to me!

I'll let you know how it goes.
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

Take a look at this D&RGRR flatcar. Drawings and assembly plans are provided as well.

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... latcar_Kit
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

I played with the design of a wood-beam truck for awhile but couldn't figure out how to get the flexibility to have a truck that would track well. (My normal standard for 7.5" Ga is to be able to put a 1/4" piece of steel under any wheel and have the other 3 stay on the rails.)

I made a pair of Brill trucks for my streetcar and a pair of simple not-to-scale ball-bearing trucks for the Motorman's car (that carries the driver, a couple of passengers, and 150 pounds worth of batteries) that have that kind of flexibility and they stick to the rails like they are captive! I have never had a derailment with either and they will go like stink on the worst of rail.

Anyway, for the boxcar, I decided to go with Plum Cove archbar trucks. Just waiting for them to arrive as the rest of the boxcar is more than 1/2 complete.

Thanks for the suggestions group!
Brill.jpg
Motormans.jpg