Petermann P4 sliding head automatic lathe (aka screw machine)

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ecdez

Petermann P4 sliding head automatic lathe (aka screw machine)

Post by ecdez »

I know this is a stretch but I picked up a Petermann p4 screw machine yesterday and was curious if anyone had a manual they'd be willing to share.

The guards were removed for transport but yes, I have them :D

20190226_114746.jpg
20190226_114740.jpg
20190226_114754.jpg
pete

Re: Petermann P4 sliding head automatic lathe (aka screw machine)

Post by pete »

If I were looking for a proper manual for that machine then I think I'd try over on the Practical Machinist Antiques sub forum. It's amazing what some of those guys know and have information about. Even at that anything for screw machine information seems to be rare.
ecdez

Post by ecdez »

I actually went there first and came up empty. The manual is available on Lathes.co.uk but is a bit pricey. Thought I'd search for a free one first :)
pete

Post by pete »

Yeah I've heard that the Lathes UK site owner wants an arm and a leg for what he's got. I've also read a few posts that some of his manuals seem to have have missing pages or aren't complete at times. But that's only hearsay and not by personal experience. I know just enough general information about screw machines that having a manual isn't really optional. I wish you luck. If that was for one of the much more common B & S screw machines it would probably be fairly easy.
ecdez

Post by ecdez »

Ha, I've actually got 2 different manuals for the B&S ones. I'd prefer one of those machines but the price for this one was unbeatable and right around the corner. I'm just dipping my toes into the screw machine pond so see if I like it or not.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

if you are making a LOT of the same part, they are a very efficient way to go...as long as the machine is in good condition and you understand how to set it up. Know a shop out in Indiana that has many of them still running..one machine, one part for decades..

A friend of mine, and her sisters were put through college by their father's screw machine that sat in the corner of the garage shop..started running during WWII and pretty much made the same part for 30 years...

when he died, the machine was still run-able, but nobody wanted it, so it went to scrap.

Where you get into problems is if it is one of the specific single cam type of machines and you need to design / make / grind a new cam to drive the action for each part.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
4gsr

Post by 4gsr »

There's a P7 manual for sale on Amazon for $210. If Tony's is cheaper than this, you better jump on it. I've bought a couple of manuals from Tony in the past. Yes, he is a little bit pricey, but for what I paid for and what he sent was well worth the price paid. Very nicely bound and heavy stock paper used, you can't beat it. Your mileage may vary. May send an email to Vintage Machinery and see if they have anything on hand that has not been uploaded the their website they could send you for a small donation. KenS.
Ken