Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

JackF

Re: Patio's projects

Post by JackF »

Thanks Pat. :) So...when will the CNC conversions start for the mill and lathe. :roll: :wink: :lol: Then you can turn your drawings into G code and let the machines do all the hard work? :wink: :lol:

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hey Jack, never! I would like to end up with a tracer attachment for the lathe someday. I don't think mill or lathe conversions are that great of a set up. If I had the space, time and money, I would love to own a real CNC lathe and mill.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

:lol: I was just kidding on CNC stuff :lol: After I retired I worked part time at a manual machine shop near me as a helper, mostly Bridgeport work and some on the Sejo horizontal. They liked how I caught on to the work and then put me on a Graziano Sag 20 lathe. That was one sweet running lathe, my favorite machine in the shop. :) :) It had a hydraulic tracer that was used on a couple of jobs, The tracer was big and heavy and needed a hoist to mount it.

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hello everyone!
This is the last of the modeling I am going to do of the Cazeneuve HBX360 speed control mechanism. It is not perfectly the way it will be built, but it is close enough for me to get drawings from, for each of the individual parts, to take to the shop so I can start making the parts.
The video is about 7 minutes long, and show both the speed mechanism and the control mechanism.
Enjoy!
https://autode.sk/2DXXS7l
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Looking good! The micro-switches are a vast improvement over the toggle switch you thought of originally.
Make some chips, Patio. :-)

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hi Jack, got yourself a side gig? :)

Well folks, there is a delay of game happening right now! I am waiting on a 10 dollar endoscope to arrive in the mail, so I can look behind the apron. The square rod that runs through the apron for the control lever, is bumping on something. A friend lent me an old bore scope, that has a broken light. I was able to see a little, but nothing definitive. I have owned one, like the one that it coming, so I am familiar with it's capabilities. I think it is a screw that has backed out, but I am not sure yet.
So I wait.
It should arrive on the 20th of Feb.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

He everyone. Well this is a good news, bad news, good news story.
Good news: Endoscope came in the mail early. I was also offered the use of a friends endoscope, if needed. Using the endoscope I was able to take a look through the hole in the apron and determined that it is indeed a screw. It is a cheese head style screw and is used to secure a bracket, that secures the ends of a pair of telescopic tubes, that enclose the leadscrew in an oil bath.
Bad news: The only access to this screw is a slot that is around a corner or a .875" hole that is a good 4" from the screw, and I think would take a great deal of effort to replace or modify.
Good news: After a nice conversation with Harold about the issue, he came up with the idea of relieving the square rod. And that is what I am going to do.

The square rod that runs through the apron, when it is square with the world, in the vertical and horizontal planes, is in it's maximum direction of travel, in one direction. When moved to it's maximum travel in the other direction, is must be tipped forward as the lever rises. That means only one corner of the rod interferes with the screw, when rotated, and for the length of travel of the carriage. It should not be to difficult to make that modification, and all the other parts I have made, so far, will still work.
Sure is nice to have a sense of direction!
So it is just a matter of getting back to it. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hello everyone. I have made some time in the shop recently and thought I would catch everyone up.
This mechanism consist of two systems. One is the control ie FWD/OFF/REV and the other controls the speed of the spindle. The speed control rod handle/lever, rod and arm came with the lathe, when I got it. The control rod, handle/lever and arm were missing via the PO.

The problem I was having with the control rod interfering with a screw, behind the apron, I have sorted out. I removed the corner of the rod for the entire travel the apron makes. The other issue that I needed to sort out was the bushings on each end, where the rod passes through the apron. On the existing speed system, the handle is the bushing on the right and there is a plastic bushing on the left and they are captured to the apron via C clips on the inside of the apron. There is no way for me to get at these C clips or the ones for the control system. So I came up with the idea of creating a tube the both the right and left bushing would be press fit into, capturing them to the apron. I just so happens that, the outside diameter of a piece of 1/2" EMT electrical conduit is the same size as the holes in the apron. I created a relief in the tubing, where it would also interfere with protruding screw behind the apron.

This is how I made all the bushing for where the square rods pass through the lathe. There are five bushings for each rod. Starting on the right end of the lathe, where the end of the rod is supported in the lathe casting, there is one bushing. The two, going left, are one in each end of the apron, one of those being the handle to operate that rod. Then there are two more both on the far left end of the rod. The two bushing on a rod set the spacing of the arms in relation to the arm on the other rod, so one is set to the left and the other to the right so they operate on two separate planes and are able to pass each other. If that is confusing, please refer to the video on page 36.
Here are some pictures of that, after all this is the Photo Album. :)
I bought the square sleeves from McMaster Carr and made the brass bushing to fit the bores in the machine. This is an example of it.
20190310_210949a.jpg
This is the control lever, tube and bushing. The bushing and the control lever are not press in yet.
20190305_174824a.jpg
20190305_174833a.jpg
20190305_174838a.jpg
How I "turned" the lever's end to the size of the EMT on the mill.
20190305_171640a.jpg
A short video of the boring head in action, for fun.
https://youtu.be/UELxM06Q-lM
Next page!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

The speed system has the lever, rod, bushings and a temporary arm. So I started on the speed system's sliding rack gear mechanism. The bodies for both of the system are about 14" long, so I mounted both of my vises on the mill, so I can cut all the slots with out moving the material. I also did some silver soldering for the first time ever. :)

Here are some pictures.
Here I used some of the 3/8" square rod and made some cross heads for the rack gear.
20190308_165317a.jpg
20190308_175102a.jpg
Milling the body for the speed system slide.
20190309_102242a.jpg
This is the assembly laid together.
20190309_125023a.jpg
There is a pin, pressed into the back side of upper cross head, that protrudes through the slot in the back of the body that a lever will connect to.
I also have made the mounting plate that both the mechanism will be mounted to.
20190210_173215a.jpg
That is as far as I am right now. I do have the parts mounted in the lathe to I can make a linkage to connect the arm to the slide. I will post more as I get round toit. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

This is what I did on Sunday with my brother. I acquired a bit of lead and we melted it down into manageable sizes. I also poured a knocker and a couple of heads for one of my hammers.
20190310_163110a.jpg
20190310_163057a.jpg
20190310_163126a.jpg
The majority of it is in muffin tin, and angle iron mold, forms. I kept some of it in it's original sheet form also.
That's it for now, I hope this finds everyone in good health.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

This with your brother Mike?
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Curtis, yes!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!