Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Patio

Re: Patio's projects

Post by Patio »

Spent some time in the shop. I didn't getting anything done on the project, I helped a good friend of mine. He just got back into riding, after a long illness. So he got a new bike and like all good bike owners, ya got to make it your own. So I milled some holes in a set of handle bars he picked up, so the control wires can go inside the bars, for a clean look. Hit the holes with a little grinding stone to remove the burrs, cause the smoother they are the easier the wires go in. He was able to just push these through.
20190315_194733a.jpg
20190315_194738a.jpg
20190315_200145a.jpg
20190315_210416a.jpg
20190315_205747a.jpg
20190315_210431a.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Got a little more work done on the lathe mechanism, and screwed up one of the parts also.
The hole in the arm that I made for the control system, was not at a usable angle, so I made another hole that is. The first hole I made by drilling a 3/8" hole and then filed the corners out to make a square hole. It worked well enough but was a bit of work, so this time I drilled the corners and center hole. Then I milled the sides out, using the DRO to keep track of the size. Once done I did just a touch of filing in the corners and ended up with a much better fit than the first.
Here are the pics.
20190317_121554a.jpg
20190317_122719a.jpg
20190317_122724a.jpg
When by brother and I poured all the lead, I made a couple of pieces with a bolt in them so I could make a lead head for a hammer I own. The one on the right is the rough version, as poured.
Here are those pics.
20190318_194631a.jpg
20190318_194709a.jpg
I also received a 66 tooth gear to replace the smaller one I had for the speed mechanism. This gives me just under 6" of travel that will be compatible with the amount of movement I have in the arm. I am in the process of making a longer rack gear to suit. I will post that as I get it done.
The weather, on this Solstice day has been wonderful (high 70s).
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Summer solstice [longest day of the year] will be on June 21.
Today, March 20, was the spring equinox when day and night are of equal length.

You do nice work.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Liveaboard, that is what I meant to say. Thanks for setting the record straight. I was raised in Fairbanks Alaska. There is a marathon held there each year that coincides with the equinox. Suppose to be one of the toughest around. I have walked it three times, when I was in grade school. :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equinox_Marathon
I was suppose to go on a fishing trip this weekend, but the fishing is so poor, it is postponed to another day, yet to be determined. Looks like I may get some unexpected shop time tomorrow. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Getting a little more done.
This is today's progress. I finished up the speed control mechanism, now I just need to make the proper levers to connect it to the machine.
I had to move the head of the mill around to the side so I could drill and tap holes in the ends of the body, for the limit screws.
20190323_165215a.jpg
This is the finished assembly.
20190323_212646a.jpg
20190323_212659a.jpg
20190323_212713a.jpg
20190323_212728a.jpg
Off to a motorcycle swap meet tomorrow. Looking for some mirrors for the Panhead project.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Just a little update. I have been spending a bunch of time in the shop lately, on the lathe controls project.
The speed mechanism is temporarily installed. It is just held to the base plate with a clamp and seems to work well enough. I have not connected it electrically yet.

The main part of the control mechanism is built. I have been working on problems with binding, because of the pressure exerted on the slide, by the detent part of the mechanism. I have a plan to move the detent mechanism to the right end of the lathe, thus moving the pressure to the lever and not the arm.

Lots going on, and spring is here. Vacation time is coming too. :) I might have to curtail some of my time in the shop to take care of pressing home maintenance projects. I have been taking pictures of the progress and will post them as I make some mile stones,
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Still getting things done. Steady by jerks! :) Not a lot of time and lots to get done, while the sun is shinning.
Here are some teaser pictures of the progress.

The Speed and Control mechanisms, mounted on a plate.
20190605_210146a.jpg
The detent mechanism in an exploded view.
20190602_171137a.jpg
I will post better pictures and explanations when it is operational. I am close now.
Take care of each other.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
spro

Post by spro »

Man Pat. First reply and it will get better. I could study one picture 30 minutes. Big serious like of that construction!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Looking good Pat.

Jack
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hey everyone! The lathe is up and operational. Both mechanisms work well. The control lever as it sits, will only do FWD and REV, to get it to do Stop also, I need to do a little rewiring in the VFD cabinet, which is behind the lathe. Moving the lathe out, away from the wall, is a slow process and with the rewiring, it is it's own project. It is pretty high on my want list, so it should happen before to long. I will then make a video of all the moving parts with an explanation, of the system.

I have the Panhead bike up running now. Tools were made and parts altered to get things together. Took it to a state wide event and entered it in a bike show and won 2nd place in the Antique class. Pictures comeing soon.
Got the Honda Ct70 running, with lights. I took it and a little Honda 50, to the rally to ride around the grounds. All three bikes are kick start only, and I have been resting a strained knee ever since. :( The good things is I now have 4 of five bikes in running condition. That has been a long time coming.

I am now in the process of giving my Maximill (Bridgeport clone), a little love. I broke the last of the three locking handles awhile back, the X feed control has bad switch and quit working and the bushing the draw bar sits on, on the top of the mill, forces the draw bar to rotate off center, cause a slight vibration.

I made the handles today. I turned them by hand, using a method similar to how one turns wood. I saw it on YT, so I gave it a try. The guy on YT is much better than I am and you can see him here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtrDv6uZTs
Here are the ones I made today.
20190714_220253a.jpg
The tools I made are in this picture.
20190714_220608a.jpg
The top tool is a piece of round,solid carbide, ground at an angle. The bottom tool is a piece of 1/4" HSS, also ground at an angle to create a diamond shape. I also use files, sand paper and scotch bright pads. I used a boring bar, held backwards in a tool holder, as a rest.
More to come as I get it done!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Well done, my friend.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Thanks Harold.
I forgot to mention, the knobs are made from 303 Stainless steel.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!