Plumbing question

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

rhbroehl

Plumbing question

Post by rhbroehl »

Hi,

I am moving onto plumbing up my LE 0-4-0 and have run into a problem. The bushings on the boiler appear to be a 1/4" NPT fitting and not a MTP thread. Is there anything out there to adapt a check valve to that boiler bushing? I will also have the same issue with a check valve for oil going into the cylinders. They are tapped for 1/8 NPT.

Also, what size tubing is recommended for feed water and other plumbing lines?

Thanks

Rob
Fred_V

Re: Plumbing question

Post by Fred_V »

I don't recall any commercial adapter fittings because I've always made my own from brass hex bar. Making valves and fittings is my favorite part of the build. I have CAD drawing for all that if you want to try your hand at it. you will need a lot of union fittings so plumbing can be easily removed when needed.

On that size engine you will probably use 1/4" or 5/16" tubing for feedwater; follow injector instructions. 1/8" for oil lines. 3/16" tubing is handy for some things.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

You didn't say what scale your engine is, I would agree with Fred for the sizes if it is 1.5" scale, but a 1" scale engine looks better with 3/16".

As for conversion, LocoParts and PM Research both sell ways to get from 1/8 npt to 5/16 mtp. McMaster has reducers from 1/4 npt to 1/8 npt. Another route is to get a 1/4 or 1/8 npt pipe plug and drill and tap it 1/4 mtp, which would probably take the least space.
John Brock
rhbroehl

Post by rhbroehl »

Sorry, it is 1.5 scale.