Soliciting Comments about this Site's Software

Get community help here, post test messages, suggestions etc. I will also document here changes that take place such as maintenance and upgrades.

Moderators: Harold_V, Marty_Escarcega

Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Soliciting Comments about this Site's Software

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Please take a few moments to post what you like or dislike about this sites software and or features you wish it could have.

The software is somewhat modifiable, but I'm not experience enough to do it. I can ask the site's owner to look into it.

Give me ideas and lets see what we can do to make it better!
If there are other INFOPOP driven sites that you know of that are better or easier ot understand, see or read, post the URL so we can have a looksee.

Thanks all!
Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
NAMPeters

Re: Soliciting Comments about this Site's Software

Post by NAMPeters »

It works just fine IMHO. Did not like having to wade thru a pile of stuff to get to the interesting, to me, posts.
Neil (Chief Hinder Scratcher) Peters
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Marty, I think this board is just fine... I wish more boards where like it...

"Display preferences" gives you the ability to present threads/posts in a variety of ways (one of which is very close to the old board, if that's what you like)...

From my perspective, this is the most user tailorable boards I've seen...
I feel that if someone was to have a complaint with the layout, they haven't fully explored "Display preferences"...
[b]Bryan[/b]
[i]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."[/i] Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
John_Stevenson

Post by John_Stevenson »

Thanks Marty for the oppertunity to repy.
First off in this catorgary no one will bother to read it s ther eare two many sticky pin notices. I have had to wade thru to page three to find this post.
Many are well out of date.

My main compalint is, and has been from the beta days, is that the posing reply window is far too small. On my system with 17" monitor the text is about 7 point.
I sometimes have to wade thru this three times to correct mistakes.
Many have probably given up by this point.
Next item is there are far too many forums, I feel many could be incorporated.
If we could get them more into line then many who don't read eah forum would have a chance to get involved.
Welding and sheet metal go hand in hand anyway.
Casting is part of general engineering, Having said that I have 213 unread posts by the side of it and 1700 against welding.
If they were incorperated they would generate more posts.

John S.
jutz

Post by jutz »

When I check this board, I generally select "Past 24 hours" from the "View recent messages" section of the "Main Index" page and scroll through to find ones that seem interesting. The search results list produced by this has "Subject", "Forum", "Poster" and "Posted on" columns and sorts the posts by "Posted on". Personally, I would find this a lot easier to navigate if it included a "Thread" column with the title of the first post in the thread. Even better would be if it broke the list into subsections by thread. I have no idea if this software can support this. Feel free to email me if this doesn't make sense.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Thanks Marty for the oppertunity to repy.
First off in this catorgary no one will bother to read it s ther eare two many sticky pin notices. I have had to wade thru to page three to find this post.
Many are well out of date.

Point well taken and most have been deleted John.
My main compalint is, and has been from the beta days, is that the posing reply window is far too small. On my system with 17" monitor the text is about 7 point.
I sometimes have to wade thru this three times to correct mistakes.
Many have probably given up by this point.

Is it any better now John? I'm attempting to work with the software. I have only tweaked the Dessert Classic Style Sheet.
If we could get them more into line then many who don't read eah forum would have a chance to get involved.
Casting is part of general engineering, Having said that I have 213 unread posts by the side of it and 1700 against welding.
If they were incorperated they would generate more posts.

Noted, will be interesting to hear what others say. Thanks for the input John!
Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
willjordan

Post by willjordan »

Casting is part of general engineering, ...
John S.

You know, John, I feel just the opposite about the number of forums.

I use the categories to focus my time. I'm reading welding now on a daily basis because I'm taking a welding class and planning to buy a welder. I only check sheet metal occasionally. When there was a precision measuring forum, I checked it every day. I only check the main forum when I have time and then generally scan for interesting topics. I haven't looked at gunsmithing in months.

For me, the existing group of topics help me focus. If a topic gets slow, it gets slow. it it will pick back up when someone has a question, a problem, or show & tell.

So, I'm happy with the current group of topics.
grace & peace
will

[url=http://willjordan.com]Will's Web Pages[/url]