Wooden boxcar door track?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

DianneB

Wooden boxcar door track?

Post by DianneB »

I am working on a 40 foot wooden boxcar (1/4" Birch ply) and haven't been able to figure out how to do the sliding door track. I'd really like to have the doors open-able. I have been searching the Net but not come up with anything.

Has anyone seen or come up with a way to make the tracks?
jeffsmith

Re: Wooden boxcar door track?

Post by jeffsmith »

Wooden cars used several different methods but the most common was the use of a Z shaped track. Look at my web site and you'll get an idea how it works. branchlineproducts.com
The box car book has all of the information for the door operation.
Jeff Smith
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Has anybody MADE working door tracks for a 1-1/2" scale boxcar? I have been scratching my head for weeks and haven't been able to figure out how to do it! :roll:
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Ha!
Nearly all of the cars with side doors on the C&IG had working doors when they were built.

Practical? Not for cars handled often.

Now, do you want doors that slide open and closed, or do you want that and them to look prototypical?

Brian
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

makinsmoke wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:46 pmNow, do you want doors that slide open and closed, or do you want that and them to look prototypical?
I decided to just go with wooden slides for now (until I think of and build something better). Yes, I wanted working doors so I can store stuff inside or make fake cargo.
Doors open.jpg
Roof finish next.....
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

The easiest way to use that space for storage is a hinged roof. I’ve used piano hinges.

I’ll try and draw up a simple working door slide.

Brian
vernon911

Post by vernon911 »

We have custom extruded Zee channel. 3/8"x3/8"x3/8" that can used for outside bracing and door tracks.

Price is $3/20" pc or $5/3ft. pc.

Sorry, its not up on our website yet. Note: the shipping isn't cheap so recommend ordering enough to do it only once.

info@precisionsteelcar.com

Sincerely
Paul

www.precisionsteelcar.com
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Omg, Paul can you use this for side bracing on single sheathed outside braced boxcars??
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

The sliding doors of many box cars and even passenger baggage cars were hung from above with what was called a door trolley on a railing. The bottom of the door was usually riding in a guide bar with perhaps what was called a slide to help stabilize the door during movement.

Most of the baggage car doors were inside hung but used the same basic hardware. Even when closed, the baggage car doors offered up plenty of air gaps and during cold weather were known for being very unpleasant for crew to ride in unless a stove was in use.
vernon911

Post by vernon911 »

Yes, it works quite well for outside bracing. That is actually why we made it. Ray Grosser in KY has used for such and it turned out quite well. He has also used out roof ribs in flat form without the center peak for outside bracing of a different style. Very similar to a boxcar kit that Steve Morris used offer a long time ago. If you want feel free to contact me through the website and I can dig up some pictures. Someday we will get all our new parts up on the website but right now we are busy working on the limited run outside braced stock car kits and more importantly enjoying the kids spring soccer season.

Paul