Colorado Narrow gauge

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

skyloop440

Colorado Narrow gauge

Post by skyloop440 »

Hello all you Colorado narrow gauge fans!

I'm in need of some info, I know the D&RG used a letter like C= Consolidated and the number of a locos tractive effort to classify them like C-16, K-36, T-12 etc. Do any of you know the break down of the Colorado & Southern code like B4E, or B4G
Thanks Matt
AnthonyDuarte

Re: Colorado Narrow gauge

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Hi Matt,

The number refers to the number of driving axles, and the last letter refers to when the class was built.
For example, the Class B-4A consist of locomotives #30-36, which were the earliest B-4 class built in 1880. B-4B's were #37-56 and were built in 1883. The final class was the B-4F's (not G) built in 1898. Information comes from Mallory Hope Ferrell's book on the C&S.

It's not a self evident system, and there's not a good way to look at a C&S locomotive and determine the class without having memorized which road numbers belong to which class.

Not sure what the 'B' stands for, as all the C&S narrow gauge classes have it.

Anthony
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Well that interesting, not at all what I expected. May have to contact the railroad museum and see what they know on the subject, the B and the 4 have to mean something.
Thanks Matt
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Woops you said what the number was which is what I thought just need to figure out the B
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Could the B be for Baldwin?
Cary
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

The locomotives were built by a combination of Cooke, Brooks, Baldwin, and Rhode Island Locomotives Works. So that would not hold up to the entire roster.