10-Wheeler Cylinder castings

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Andy R

10-Wheeler Cylinder castings

Post by Andy R »

A friend of mine who does not have internet access is looking for a pair of "Allen 10-Wheeler" cylinder castings.
If you have or know of anybody who has a pair ageing under the workbench that won't be used and you want to sell please reply.
Thanks.
Andy
Trainman4602

Re: 10-Wheeler Cylinder castings

Post by Trainman4602 »

Allen Models of Nevada you can get all you want
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Andy R

Post by Andy R »

Of course new castings can be obtained from Allen Models.
My friend is looking for aged castings.
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Andy:
Thanks for not being swayed by the wise guys and those who can't read.
You will be doing your friend and me a service. I have one unmachined Allen Ten Wheeler Casting I will sell for 1/2 of current new cost. If you or he are interested, please PM me. I have some other Ten Wheeler stuff if he has needs please include that in the pm and we can work something out. He can pay the shipping on USPS flate rate, so the more we can stuff in a box the better for us both. Of course, it dosen't matter where as long as the shipping is to a US state...cost is the same.
Scotty
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Aging castings is not necessary that was the old days and yes I can read Just trying to show support for suppliers, But it is typical live steamer s looking for a bargain. I apologize to the forum for the attitude but I'm a supplier also.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

The age of castings does have a relevance, although how critical the aging would be for a cylinder leaves questions. Is it necessary? Perhaps. Perhaps not. It is unlikely a cylinder would undergo significant changes in features, although for a D valve engine, it is possible that the valve seat could change enough to create issues.

Castings have internal stresses that must be relieved before they become stable. That can be accomplished by rough machining, then allowing the item(s) to sit for a prolonged period of time. They can also be stress relieved in a furnace, or simply allowed to age without any machining (a slow process). Rough machining tends to remove unwanted material, allowing equalization of stresses to occur faster.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Harold
All what you are saying is true but I think in our line of work it is not critical. I have machined quit a number of cylinder castings over the years and found that is is more important to let them cool down before the final cut Iron expands and can shrink below the measured dimension.
Most armature machinist over look this point and maybe arn't even aware of it.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I have finally refined my skills to be able to measure the heat expansion on parts.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Regardless, the OP is looking for 'new old stock'... not new stock. Not much to debate. Let him look for them :)
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I have an Allen blast pipe and nozzle along with some dome castings if anyone needs them.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

PM's sent to ChipsAhoy (Scotty) and FLtenwheeler (Tim).
Thanks for your replies !
Andy