Grizzly MT5-to-5C adapter

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Re: Grizzly MT5-to-5C adapter

Post by John Evans »

rhjph wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:07 pm This adaptor (P4026001) has gone up in the intervening years from US$29.50 to US$122.50 (and is only obtainable in the US). No longer an economical proposition, I'd say.

don't be so cheap! With machine tools be happy the part is available at any price. 3 choices here pay the price,make one,or you really don't need it.
www.chaski.com
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I made a closer for a 5-C adapter 30 years ago and still use it. I used a piece of pipe, a pipe coupling, a thrust bearing and a handwheel; aint pretty, but works just fine. If I'm not mistaken, I used 1" IPS, giving me enough meat to bore the end of the coupling and thread it for the collet. The pipe then was threaded unto the other end of the collet and a few tack welds keeps it from turning. It is a simple task and new collet closers cost an arm and a leg.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
spro

Post by spro »

_ the other end of the coupling and know what you mean. my old 12" has an advertised #5 MT in the nose. Over the years, many commented that it wasn't #5 MT. It was more a # 4 1/2 because the taper is the same but the spindle inner diameter is smaller. It was heck trying to find and modify a tube that would barely pass thru the spindle and capture the outer threads of 5-C collet with the adapter.